Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Maybe I had a total brain relapse, but for the life of me I could not figure out how to access the negative terminal of my Focus's battery to jump start a friends car. The positive terminal is in easy reach, but what I thought was the negative terminal was under the windshield in an unreachable place. Anyone know if you can jump start from a 2012 Focus???

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Connect positive cable to positive terminal, negative cable to solid ground connection anywhere on the vehicle. A portion of the frame that is unpainted, or where the vehicle's electrical components attach their ground connections would be good spots.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Instructions are in your owners manual

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah you beat me to it...lol.

But yeah, they are. :)
The instructions pertain to situations where the Focus needs to be boosted. But what about providing boosts from the Focus. The instructions state the negative lead of the booster cable should connect to the negative terminal of the assisting vehicle. Hard to do on 2012 Focus - what's the best way to access the battery; there seems to be room to move the battery forward (towards front of hood).

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I thought there was some post sticking out on the body near the battery im gonna go check
The main body ground bracket hangs from the LF strut tower behind the main engine fuse box and in front and to the left of the battery (on the right when standing directly in front of the car looking under the hood).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The instructions pertain to situations where the Focus needs to be boosted. But what about providing boosts from the Focus. The instructions state the negative lead of the booster cable should connect to the negative terminal of the assisting vehicle. Hard to do on 2012 Focus - what's the best way to access the battery; there seems to be room to move the battery forward (towards front of hood).
The positive is what's juicing the other car, so the negative placement will be the same regardless of if you are jumping the other car or being jumped. It's just grounding the connection. I've done this before using the manual specified location and jumped the other vehicle just fine. :)

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The main body ground bracket hangs from the LF strut tower behind the main engine fuse box and in front and to the left of the battery (on the right when standing directly in front of the car looking under the hood).
^^that

Here is a quick picture with annotation to show exactly where it is.

Reactions: PratoN

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Geeze that's a clean engine! Is the pic from when it was brand new or do you just keep it very clean? Either way looks great!
I'm pretty sure that was either from the day of delivery or the day afterwards.

It could probably use a cleaning now, but it was a picture that showed exactly the ground bracket in question. This is the reason why the negative terminal on the battery can be hidden under the cowl and be brought remotely to the front of the car via the battery ground bracket on the strut tower.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Positive to your positive, negative to the post sticking out of the piece next to the battery.

Then positive to his positive, and negative to an unpainted location of the frame.

Then start cars. Boom.

·
Registered
221 Posts
mine has a black negative wire that is held into the frame with a bolt that is a few inches to the right of the battery, thats what I would use.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Positive to your positive, negative to the post sticking out of the piece next to the battery.

Then positive to his positive, and negative to an unpainted location of the frame.

Then start cars. Boom.
The "Boom" makes me love this post more than I should, lmao.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts