Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 ZX4 with high mileage, and I got the parts I need to convert the rear drums to discs. I'm tired of drums and they're all rotted anyway. The disc parts came from an ST in North Carolina. They have some rust but no flaking, and one of the hubs appears to be older than the other. On that hub, when I turn it by hand, it turns smoothly and then meets some resistance. It happens consistently as I turn the hub, maybe five times in a complete revolution. It doesn't feel gritty at all. It's smooth, then feels like it drags, then smooth, drag, smooth, drag... consistent increments all the way around. I've had gritty and egged-out bearings before, but not one that felt like this. I was wondering if something else on the hub is causing it, like the spindle nut or the ABS ring. I pulled the sensor and it still does it. Ideally, I'd like to put these hubs on my car without taking them apart, since like I said, the car is high mileage. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

The bearing in that hub doesn't sound good, might be best to replace it.

You can inspect the spindle/nut, but I'd guess a single tight/loose transition would be a more likely result from any problem there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would recommend that you replace both hubs; new hubs can be bought very cheaply, even given that your vehicle is high milage, I have seen rear hubs and wheel bearing assemblies sold for as little as $30 each. I would put new seals on it and rebuild or replace the calipers, especially given that you don't know the history of the parts. Yeah, it costs a little more, but your time is also worth something and there is nothing worse than doing a job twice. Do it right the first time and save your time and sanity in the long run. A complete job is something to be proud of; cheapness rarely works. Just my two cents worth....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played with the hub a little more last night, and when I clamped the casting in place and spun it faster, it felt more like a common worn bearing. I also noticed that on the good hub, the dust cap has a notch from where it was removed, whereas this one is pristine. Once again, the project is delayed by another credit card statement.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Toby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts