Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the fshtek 6000k HID kit for my juanyan projectors

these:

Im only opt to buy these if it will provide a safe, clean, and well distributed light source

I dont want those obnoxious hotspots.

Blah blah, these will glare... Maybe not, they have a nice cutoff point (horizantally), and can be aimed too.

Has anyone done this combo yet?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
those are really nice. Where did you find them ?

i would also like some info.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
the projectors will give you a nice even light band without hot spots because the light is focused. You will also get a nice colorband on top too. THe thing I noticed most with projectors is the horizontil light band and the evenness. My buddy built projector head lamps for his car which use HID bulbs. Me, I just through some HID bulbs in my stock head lamp. The glare with projectors is basically nopt there. Projectors are awesome.

·
Registered
299 Posts
supa hot!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i pm'd him about a week ago and no response yet

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You'll have less scatter than halogen reflector housings, but you'll still run a good chance of blinding other drivers. Not to mention, you could buy a set of used Mach HIDs for about the same price as these housings + HID retrofit kit.

·
Registered
930 Posts
SkaAddict said:
You'll have less scatter than halogen reflector housings, but you'll still run a good chance of blinding other drivers. Not to mention, you could buy a set of used Mach HIDs for about the same price as these housings + HID retrofit kit.
I could of done that too...but that isn't very creative and original. I think Robexe is looking for something custom...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Tbones00SE said:
It's been done. PM a forum member named dragon. He has that setup. Here is a link to a thread that has a link to the picture of the setup.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92251
That setup is halogen projectors with an HID kit installed! Not HID projectors retro fitted to the halogen housing...
Please, here are the facts:

12,000K HID capsules!?!? That is ridicules!!
The OEM HID manufactures use 4100 to 4300K output 'bulbs' ONLY! Why? Because that is the same colour temp as natural sunlight, to which, over thousands of years of evolution, our eyes have become adapted to. In otherwords, we see best in that range...

The higher up the colour scale you go, the LESS actual light output you will get. Sure, 12,000k looks nice, but it's actually less illuminating than 55watt halogen bulbs!

Cheap-ass, off-shore 'kit' companies sell these colour temps to fool people into thinking they are getting the same blue/violet colour 'flicker' you see with OEM HID setups...WRONG!!
The blue colour that is so entracing with OEM HID's is caused by the light refracting over the cutoff shield...it is NOT the colour of the light coming out. If you look below the cutoff band, straight into the projector, you will see WHITE light...

This Dragon person, his lights illuminate that 12000K temp everywhere. To me, this looks like nothing more than a halogen setup with ricer 'blue-bulbs'...
And if his halogen projectors are anything like the ones that came with my headlights, then HID output will be very ineffective and blinding to oncoming traffic...
Halogen projectors typically have a higher right-kick cutoff, and they focus more of the light towards the middle (hot spotting) because of the limited halogen output...
Compared to REAL HID's, they give off a way more even amount of light across the road, and are designed to not blind on coming traffic while still providing superior illumination down your lane, and even more illumination off the right shoulder and down the road...
And when I flick over to high-beam...forget it!! Bi-xenon power (no cutoff, just 100% HID projector) as well as a pair of H1 halogen reflectors, light up my world like you wouldn't believe!
I do a lot of commuting at night and in the wilderness of north-western Ontario where lots of critters think they look better as road kill, and I wouldn't give up my headlights for nothin'!

If your serious about doing this, and I mean anyone, please research it...and stay away from 'kits'!

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/index.html

http://www.hidplanet.com/oem.html

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

·
Registered
930 Posts
Kayak_man said:
those lights look really nice --ya i'm wondering where you found them too...
Oops...sorry about the double post. Stupid IE7! <<<...(Fixed by WD40)
But thanks...appreciate it
Anyways, those lights, I bought off Ebay, just regular halogen projectors. The HID components as well came from Ebay. I searched and lurked for weeks looking for the best deal on good parts, and I came up with Bosch bi-xenon projectors (typically refered to as E55 projectors, because of their use in the same BMW model), Philips ballast, and Osram capsules...all of these parts are OEM, not kit parts...

Then I went about yanking out the halogen projectors, retrofitting in the HID parts, then spending HOURS refining the aim and setup, and resealing the housings...

I also 'shield modded' the HID projectors to get a more intense, wider blue/violet cutoff band
:)
I think the results were well worth the work!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wouldnt be buying a 12000 kit

i would be buying a 5000 kit

and these "halogen projectors" have a pretty sharp light cutoff point, even with the halogens.

not all of us have the resources to complete such a project as you have

·
Registered
162 Posts
I pmed DRAGON a while ago about his HID's in the junyan projectors and he said he gets no hotspots at all. I hope he sees this thread and post some pics of the light throw against the wall to settle this once and for all.

But IMO since I own these lights too, the light cutoff is extreamly sharp and even does the lil rainbow thing at the cutoff even with halogen bulbs. The cutoff is like this:

__________^---------------- __________^---------------- pretty much flat.

So I'm certain these lights can hadle the output of HID's in them without causing glare.

But I don't see whats the point of doing a retrofit with these lights, you'll basically end up spending the same amount of money on MACHs or e-code hellas with a kit.

With these lights for a total of ~$400(for the projectors and HID kit) you can get a real nice light output without pissing everyone off or breaking the bank.

·
Registered
930 Posts
All I can say is YIKES!!
First off, he has his fog lights on, but it's easy enough to seperate that throw from the projectors output...
Granted, the cutoff IS very sharp, but the pattern is confusing. On the passenger side, I can make out a SLIGHT up-kick to the cutoff, but on the drivers side, I can't make out the cutoff hardly at all. And it looks as if it's rotated towards the center...this is BAD.

Also, note the HUGE hot spots in the center. Granted, the exposure from the camera is effected a bit, BUT most of the light is concentrated right in the center. Personally, I like having more light in the center, because this illuminates the road in the direction I'm going! Other modders tend to seek out the HID projectors that give off a nice, wide, even throw...and most projectors do...
If you look closely enough, some of that hotspot light is 'bleeding' over TOP of the cutoff...this is also BAD...
And notice over the light patern, some of the light reflecting off the housing and splashing the garage door...I have a bit of this on my retro...it mainly a cause of the design of the lights themselves, as the Focus lights are set in deep and raked back...
As comparison, have a look at this outpic pic...
http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v52/flytojungho/2.jpg

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
There are some on eBay without the blue blubs. Ya that's right!

00-04 Focus Dual Halo Projector Headlight 01 02 Black
Sep-21-06 16:30:31 PDT (1 day 22 hours)

eBay Auction #

·
Registered
54 Posts
This Dragon person, his lights illuminate that 12000K temp everywhere.
ummmmm...

i think his are 8k. thats what he told. me. he also said they cut off really good too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hillyard said:
There are some on eBay without the blue blubs. Ya that's right!

00-04 Focus Dual Halo Projector Headlight 01 02 Black
Sep-21-06 16:30:31 PDT (1 day 22 hours)

eBay Auction #

Those are the same lights I started out with, except in black chrome, not black...
The 'halo' ring that came with them around the projector had to be removed to fit my E55 HID projector...
And I did without the cheesy, 7 X 3 watt bulb halo gimmickry infavour of CCFL rings...

·
Registered
930 Posts
elite3847 said:
ummmmm...

i think his are 8k. thats what he told. me. he also said they cut off really good too.
Whatever the colour temp, it's too high in my opinion...his loss...
And judging from those pics, the cutoff sucks ass...this of course is my opinion as well. But I think I come from a position to make that call...I've owed 2 different sets of Ebay projectors, and I've studied HID projector output in depth...
The halogen projectors that came with my current lights had a much better cutoff (higher right-kick, even light throw), but STILL, not appropriate for HID use...
$150 for Ebay lights is cheap, and you can find on Ebay, HID projectors, bulbs and ballast for a good deal too....
But to each his own....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts