Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys. as the title says im having a bit of a dilemma right now. i bought a JRSC last november with plans to throw it on my zx3. the zx3 would go down for however long it takes to do a motor swap. the new motor will have a forged bottom end, new bearings, ARP everything, FRPP head with bigger valves and anything else you could think of to make a bullet proof engine that can take 500whp. the plan was to build a complete second engine, bolt the JRSC to it and then do an engine swap. run a crap ton of nitrous to it and see if i can hit 400whp with it. eventually the JRSC was coming off for a turbo setup. well i stumbled across a deal on a SVT a few weeks ago that i couldnt pass up. well my plans changed slightly. now i have something to do with the JRSC after it comes off the zx3. instead of trying to sell it i can put it on the SVT and have a pretty freakin peppy daily driver. well it ended up blowing the head gasket on the way home from buying it and right now the head is off the car waiting for me to have time to put everything back together. you guys know its alot easier to get a S/C on there by bolting it up with the head off and then putting the whole shebang on there at once. it would be so easy to go ahead and throw the JRSC at the SVT NOW instead of waiting the several months that it will take for me to amass all the parts i need for the ZX3 build. im just torn between doing it now with the SVT or waiting to put it on the ZX3. what do you think i should do? i know it wont make a whole lot of power. i only expect 220whp at the absolute most. and i will not be throwing any nitrous to it whatsoever. the car will be a daily driver and will see maybe 5 trips to the track this year if even that. i also know that i need to get the ports on the IM matched to the ports on the SVT head which isnt a big deal. i already have injectors i can use for it and i even have a Xcal2 that came with the car. there is absolutely nothing stopping me from doing it now. the only question is whether or not i SHOULD. the ZX3 is still getting built either way and will be getting turbo and it might actually happen sooner. the ZX3 will probably turn into the play toy that spends most of its time at the track and only occasionally gets driven on the streets and the SVT will be left completely alone other than the JRSC. im not even putting aftermarket exhaust on it. opinions? oh and if there is anything else im forgetting about that would need to be done to bolt a ZX3 JRSC up to a SVT that would be nice to know too. [hihi] all i can think of is port matching the IM to the head. obviously will have to run a 65mm TB for a standard zetec which i already have. ill probably put the SVT IM and TB on the ZX3 and use the MSD rpm window switch to operate the DSIM. otherwise i can put the stock TB back on the ZX3 for the mean time. i dont know what i should do guys. somebody sway me one way or another!

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
Non-svt jrsc and svt jrsc use two different blowers (I forget their model numbers, im typing this on my phone while i poop). You'll be lucky to hit 180-190whp with the smaller non-svt jrsc though. If that's enough for you then go for it

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
im pretty sure the non- svt jrsc uses a eaton m45 and the svt kit uses a m62. or maybe its m62 on the non svt and m90 on svt kit

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
M62 is on my Svt. The blower is bigger on the Svt. Are the ports for the lower manifold bigger for the Svt to the cylinder head than the zetec mani?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my thinking is that the standard non BBK JRSC is supposed to be good for 45whp on the zx3. with the bbk it should be good for at least 60whp i would think if not a little more. start out with 170hp (150-155whp) and i would think you would be looking at 200 at the least. and yes i would be happy with that. it would be as much or more than the zx3 would make with the built engine minus the nitrous. and im not looking to make a monster of the SVT. like i said its still just a daily driver and that is all it will ever be unless the engine pops and i cant find another SVTF engine. in which case i may have to do a 3.0 SVTC swap. ive always wanted to try it and i think i could do it over the course of a few weeks. anyway back on topic. still didnt get any good opinions to sway me one way or another! SWAY ME PEOPLE!!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, your going to look at another problem. not only will you have the trouble of the ports lining up, but you will have the problem of loss of torque. IIRC, the SVT head ports are a fair amount larger. torque is based off of velocity (well, alot of how much torque you get is gained from that. ) if you put the blower on a head w/ much much larger ports, the air velocity will slow alot. so not only will you not gain torque, its actually theoretically possible to lose torque. that blower moves ALOT less air than the SVT. you may not gain hp either. IF you retap the holes to line up w/ the svt bolt holes, i don't see you gianing anything. just run nitrous as is. so what i'm saying is, i think you will gain more power on the zetec than on the svt. the blower is just too small for the SVT. do i know? no. am i way off base? maybe, but just going by what i see. maybe Tom will chime in. or iminhell.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The non-SVT JRSC is hp rated for a non-SVT engine, which means it probably won't give as much gain on an SVT. I doubt you'll reach 200whp, let alone 220. 400 is completely out of the question. That M45 is just too small.

MLB, there's no way it will loose power with the M45; it simply won't make as much of an increase in power as it would on a standard Zetec. Bigger ports just mean lower PSI, and that's if the ports even line up correctly.

I think the SVT kit uses a different alternator bracket than the M45 kit, anyway. Plus you have to spend a few hundred for a custom tune. I wouldn't bother with this idea at all.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, i was just looking at the torque numbers that a few have made and i would think they would drop a bit on the svt. hp would go up though. someone recently only made 126 wtq on the non bbk on the zetec. which is super low. so i'm not sure how it would fair on an SVT. it would be interesting to find out though!

·
Registered
158 Posts
keep in mind that a roots blower moves a fixed amount of air; and yes as pressure decreases efficiency increases and heat drops as well, but at a given RPM the blower is only moving a fixed amount of air. I don't think that your power will be as high as you would expect; but I do feel it would make more power then on a standard zetec.

Inlet flow is only marginally more at 5psi over 10 psi, but power required to drive the blower, and temperature get a pretty fair advantage at lower pressure. (a bit over 60*f and around 5hp). You should also get a bit of extra power from the higher compression offered by the svt.

as for lining up the ports, if you're good with a dremel, or know someone who is, port-matching should be achievable.

this picture shows the SVT JRSC gasket mocked up to a standard zetec head.
-it shows that the svt has a larger area primarily around the shoulders of the port.
-the pic doesnt show that the zetec port sits a bit lower then the bottom of the gasket.

So, if you were simply slotting the mounting holes you would want the zetec manifold sitting slightly higher. IIRC the port sits approximately 2mm lower on the zetec then the svt. For porting you could do a bit of work on the "shoulders" of the port to make it a closer fit to the SVT head.

As far as the alternator bracket goes; if you have the new style bracket it's the same as the SVT JRSC kit's. There is pictures of both designs in one of the installation instruction pdf's

·
on thin air
3,668 Posts
sell the kit and buy parts for your project. Hell, I would drop the built motor in the SVT once it's done and then part out / sell off the rest for cash to fund a really nice turbo kit and supporting mods. But that's just me playing devil's advocate :)

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well ive been mulling it over constantly for the last two weeks. ive finally decided to leave the SVT the hell alone and leave it stock as stock can be. i dont know what other problems the SVT will have when i get it back together and on the road and i dont need to be compounding those problems by throwing boost at it. im also thinking about throwing the car up on craigs list and i probably wont get as much out of it if the supercharger is on it. im not going to try too terribly hard to sell it because i kinda want to keep it but we will see.

so im going to just put the SVT back to stock and ill go with the original plan of putting the JRSC to the zx3 on a built engine. when i get a turbo kit pieced together i will take the SC off the zx3 and THEN transfer it to the SVT if i still have it and all the kinks are worked out of it and use the SVT IM on the zx3 for the turbo kit in combination with the top speed IM piece. im going to see what the JRSC can do with nitrous on top of it. i want to see if you can hit 400whp with that sucker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts