Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving yesterday and went to pass a car and ran it up thru the top of 3rd gear. After about 6K RPM I noticed an odd chattering. Wasnt a constant chatter but like an on/off chatter. Never heard anything like it before and did some "tests" and ran it up through 3rd a few more times and same thing, after about 6K RPM it happened. So I slowed down and did some more "tests" and ran 1-3 out and 1 and 2 didnt do it at all, just 3rd. Well today I noticed it in 2nd gear when I was accelerating. I slowed back down and eased on the throttle accelerating but not in boost and nothing, but when I'm in boost I hear the chattering now. Its not real loud and like I said its not a constant thing, sorta sounds similar to a chattering flywheel. Im pretty concerned cause I'm not fond of messing anything up and havent the slightest idea what it could be. Anyone have any insight or a similar occurance?

Thanks

Nick

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Sounds like you might have some pinging which could be too much timing, bad gas, and or carbon deposits.

What tune are you running?

What are the temps? Any thing different in the weather?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hillyard said:
Sounds like you might have some pinging which could be too much timing, bad gas, and or carbon deposits.

What tune are you running?

What are the temps? Any thing different in the weather?
I posted same thread on FJ and that was the first repsonse. For whatever reason i didnt even think about deto. Well i doubt the timing is dif cause ive had the same tune with no problems for about 3K miles, its a modified FRPP BBK tune from wayne, just a few adjustments. I did fill up at a dif gas station than i normally do so maybe its bad gas, im nearly empty and will top er off with some 94 today, same station also has 100 unleaded race gas but at $6.50 a gallon i think ill pass. Im hoping its just some minor deto and caused by bad gas. Oh and its quite a bit cooler out than it has been recently.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
i had a chatter, my supercharger drive pulley had come loose in the imput shaft which intern became stripped, open your hood with the car at idle and watch the pulley for a minute.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlackNRed01 said:
i had a chatter, my supercharger drive pulley had come loose in the imput shaft which intern became stripped, open your hood with the car at idle and watch the pulley for a minute.
Soon as i got home i did. Couldnt see anything and reved it slightly and still nothing. Im going to hope its bad gas cause if its not im kinda f-ed cause i have like no extra money right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
From your description it sounds like DETO. I had a similar noise, i described it as my clutch pressure plate making noinse under load...What the hell did I know because I ignored it and blew a hole right through the top and right down the skirt of my piston#4. If it only happens under acceleration its is likely deto. Try not to m,ake it happen and you should be ok untill you can get it checked out. Some honda tuners say they know of deto that does not make any noise so I would just be sure to baby it untill you can see a wide band and a dyno somewhere.

I know about shitty gas too. In california they run a summer and a winter blend and if you get some of the winter stuff right after a summer batch it makes your car run like hell for a while.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I filled it up with 94 and reflashed it and still seems to do it, mainly in 1st now. Whats wierd to me is it has never done anything like it before?? Can it just come out of nowhere and start? Im really contemplating taking off the blower now just to save myself some headache. Im so tired of shit going wrong and have been extremely stressed out in other areas of my life that this is the last thing i need right now. And being that Wayne is quite difficult to get ahold of anymore I cant talk to him about getting a new tune or anything and dont have the money for a new flasher from Focuspower. I basically have no money to spend on the car right now so if it needs something more than adjustment im basically screwed. Im beginning to hate this car [?|]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump for any suggestions

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow niether FJ or here has responded to anything in the past day.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would first put a screwdriver on the s/c at idle and see if you hear any noise. Next I would probaly pull the charger off and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pinacup7 said:
I would first put a screwdriver on the s/c at idle and see if you hear any noise. Next I would probaly pull the charger off and see what happens.
Can i ask what putting a screw driver on the blower would do?

·
Registered
427 Posts
It enhances noise. Like a stethoscope for a doctor. Put it on the blowe and put your ear on it and see if you hear anything.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well im hopefully having a shop look at it tommorow, or atleast get there opinion and see what to do from there. The shop is great, they did my buddies 1.8T GTI custom install on his monster turbo but they work with alot of Fords and are the top SCT dealer in Ohio. Hopefully i dont hear much bad news.

·
Registered
152 Posts
...have you checked out the TSBs? Could the chatter be something with the tranny, clutch, throwout bearing, etc.? 'Just a thought...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
focalpointe said:
...have you checked out the TSBs? Could the chatter be something with the tranny, clutch, throwout bearing, etc.? 'Just a thought...
Nah wouldnt be, although my flywheel chatters alot more because i have a fidanza 12lb and a spec clutch. But its def not what im hearing. Friday its going into the shop to get re-tuned, man i cant wait cause i have been having to driving it and baby it soooo hard, I havent hit boost in 3 days and driving like a g-ma sucks. Im pretty confident in this shop, they did an awesome custom setup on my buddies 1.8T GTI and they do alot of work with Kenne Bell s/c on fords and were the first SCT certified dealer in Ohio.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pinacup7 said:
So what happened?
LOL OMG...I suck. All the rattling noise was, was a hose clamp on my intake hitting my strut tower bar. BUT....They found my car was running 30% lean and did need tuned. $235 for 3 custom tunes loaded on my X-cal 1. Great shop and cool guys. Pickin it up tommorow.

·
Registered
713 Posts
SVT_BMXer said:
LOL OMG...I suck. All the rattling noise was, was a hose clamp on my intake hitting my strut tower bar.
LOL. At least the clamp wasn't rattling against a brake line...as in my old car, that was a fun experience when it wore through!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts