Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok finally i got my car to start and i drove it around the block everything seems to be fine. so now i think ill take it on the highway. well that was no good . i got up to fourth gear and was only useing half throttle the whole time.when i got to a light my car turned off. i tried turnning it on again and heard a horrible sqeal and my could barely stay on wanting to die out instantly.so everytime i try to start it my car sounds like crap and it sqeals on and off. anyone know what this could be? i got the belt on myself so do you think it might be too loose? this only started once i gave it a little more gas on the highway

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the size im looking for?i have the bbk. i think ill just go to napa and buy one

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just bought 2 new belts and one wont even go on its 98 5/8 and the one that does go on is 99 1/2 .my car still wont stay on. i saw that there is a newer way to route your belt but it looks as if the belt will rub the tensioner. and what size would that belt be? i think someone mentioned 104.5 but im not sure which method to even use

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Read the link/pdf in this thread thoroughly.

It mentions different alternator brackets and belt sizes for AC and non-AC equipped engined.

Click here

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
As mentioned, the belt should be on tight and feel almost impossible to get on.

It has taken 2 people to get the belt on mine.
One to push the tensioner back all the way and the other person to route the belt on the crank.

I have no rubbing issues on mine and I used a 98" belt. Non-Ac engine with new alternator bracket.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my belt is on and now my car idles like crazyand then dies out! ive changed the plugs again im really lost. what could it be?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Lean? Running out of fuel?? Check that, hard to diagnose...Microtonal is the man ^^^

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Check the connector going to the MAF.
Is it secured ?

Check the connector going to the IAC.
This is below the TB. The IAC is mounted on top of the intake manifold and should be the one from the stock manifold.
Make sure it's connected/secured.

Do you have an aftermarket TB or stock ?

What kind of plugs and what did you gap them to ?
*On mine, anything gapped higher than .40 made the car idle like crap.

Are the plugs new or old ?

Did you check the vac hoses going to the top of the blower ?

Make sure all hoses are connected. Double check them.

I hate to ask but you did send in the ECU to be reflashed right ?

Did you install the supplied MAF that came with the BBK ?

Make sure the connector to the ThrottleBody(TB) TPS sensor is connected.

If everything checks out, try disconnetcing the connector to the IAC and see if it idles any better.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Also, using a very bright flash light, look around the intake manifold for anything loose or disconnected.

If you rev the car, does it rev normally or sputter ?

Double check your spark plug wire connection at the coil.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Check your vacuum lines. I had the same problem. I had one hooked up wrong and my car would turn on and then die if you really punched the throttle. Another thing I might suggest for your belt is to make sure your pulleys are completely clean. I forgot about the powersteering fluid that got on them and it squeaked bad when I turned on the car.

Cap off the end where you took off that one hose from the EGR system

Make sure that you have one vacuum line going from one nipple from the supercharger to the line goes to the front of the engine.

Also make sure that the two lines that are connected to the EGR solenoid are on the correct way. If those two are switched your car will run like crap. I tried fooling around with it. I'm not sure if it will even drive like that, but something to check anyway.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also check that you tightened the clamps on the bypass hose between the intake manufolt and the SC (It is just before the TB). I forgot to tighten mine and it did the same thing. The bottom clamp should already be tight, it should just be the upper one that needs tightening.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeeeehaaaa!!!! it lives ! i finnally found what it was after all these thins running through my head like hmmmm did ford even flash my ecu or like do i have crapy injectors. all kinds of crazy things were filling my brain. i was ready to take it in to ford cause i so pissed already.but come to find out that the hose on the bottom of the intake mani came off somehow. i guess when i gave it a little gas on the highway. well time to go enjoy the jrsc+bbk kinda nervus to floor it though. thanks for all your help! this site is amazing. oh and microtonal: my stock plugs are gaped at .52 should i still gap the copper ones smaller?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
When I had stock plugs, they were gapped to .52 and ran just fine but the 1-step colder (Motorcraft AZFS22C) ran/idled like crap if gapped above .40

They work at .40 so I left them gapped that way.

You should get the 1-step colder plugs for your application/FI.
You can get a set of 4 for $15 at the dealer or by several sets and get them at www.fordparts.com for $7 for a set of 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts