Focus Fanatics Forum banner

JRSC BBK VS Turbo

2K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  focusguy87 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy the following:
jrsc complete kit (fresh rebuild from jackson racing, less than 15k miles)
big boost kit (includes injectors,svt airbox, 2.5in pulley,etc)
Water methanol injection kit
20 psi boost gauge
toms custom sct tune 185 whp and 155 ft lb tq. (150 ft lb torque at 1500 rpm!!)
k&n filter
67mm tb

I can get this for $1500.00. I have checked into turbo kit and it si very expensive. Do you guys think this is a good deal and what type of performance can I expect? or should I hold out and turbo my zx3, zetec with mtx75 manual trans?

You opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

#3 ·
i am piecing together a turbo kit that will be around right below 1500 without my J&S knock guard which will come later. talon tsi turbo & BOV...piping from here, manifold on ebay, injectors on here, tuning tom probably

#5 ·
for the money, the JRSC is a great bang for the buck.

however, boost is addictive, you will want more...and spinning the JRSC any more than the BBK just moves hot air....

save up.....get a PWSC if you want to go supercharger route.

#7 ·
ehh.....

pound for pound at the same boost level a turbo will make far more power than the JRSC ever thought it could make.

#9 ·
A JRSC is a nice kick, but if you want good power, save for a turbo. I love my JRSC don't get me wrong, it's quick and reliable but it's nothing crazy. $1500 is a good price for that though, may be worth it.

#10 ·
X2
Some people are happy with a little more. Some people need 423 HP.
The price is nice, it's a super easy bolt on and is great fun. I have a BBK JRSC that put down 180ish at the wheels.
It's a blast to drive.
Do I hunt down Cobras? No!! But I can climb the heck out of the hills here where we live.

#11 ·
Really what it comes down to is what you want out of the car. The JRSC will make your car fast, and really fun to drive, but it wont be the fastest car out there, but if your like me thats alright. The JRSC will be a very, very nice improvement over stock.

If you want a 400hp beast, then you have to go turbo. You will make more power with a turbo and have the option to intercool. However if you dont want 400hp it will be more expensive to go turbo over the deal you have currently i think, plus you will have to do a lot more work by pieceing the parts together.

#12 ·
it doesnt matter if you want 180whp or 500whp the turbo is still the best. the amount of torque and power band a turbo will have compared to the sc's peak power will make it look stupid. i know not every one can afford a turbo and im not saying that should be the only thing you do, im just letting peeps know what the difference in 180 peak hp and and a power band that goes from 3500 - 7k

#14 ·
i have the JRSC w BBK on my focus and funny thing is it is automatic and was bone stock when i raced my buddy in a srt 4 stock and i kept with him the whole way

#15 ·
JRSC/BBK is a nice pickup if you want something that is dead reliable, minimal maintenance, and cheap. Also, going from stock to any form of boost will make a huge difference and bring a smile to your face. I have been running my setup for 2 years now and no issues (and I bought mine used as well).

#19 ·
Wow the turbo snobbery is getting quite bad around here lately, yes they make more power, yes they are as reliable..we all know. $1500 is an awesome price and will get 200-215whp/170ish wtq. That may be all you'll need to be happy, I say go for it. Or if you think you'll be craving more, save for a turbo, it's as simple as that.

#23 ·
Wow the turbo snobbery is getting quite bad around here lately, yes they make more power, yes they are as reliable..we all know.
Its not snobbery when you are correct misleading information.

The JRSC is a good entry level choice... but when you get people on here saying stuff like.. turbos are unreliable and that the JRSC/BBK outdoes cars that we know will outrun them in stock form (no I dont believe he stayed with the SRT 4)...... I cant no one has started the "turbo lag" arguement yet [rolleyes]

#21 ·
Come to southern ohio... we have a few turbo foci running around that you can ride in.

#24 ·
it's all about the $$$$. I don't care to do the Turbo vs SC. it's all about the $$$$. How deep is your wallet?? Ask yourself do you know how much FI cost? Ask yourself who will tune your car? Hardware is easy it's the software that matters the most.

FI is not a game no matter is turbo or supercharger.

#27 ·
I will be the next to take some harassment here. I went with a Powerworks kit which I will be finishing up the install on tomorrow. I did this for a few reasons.

1. I got the kit for a great price. I could not find a turbo kit that is as good of quality as the powerworks kit for the price I paid. Sounds like the JR is the same.
2. I am not in love with any of the turbo kits out there and therefore would want to do my own, thus alot of custom fabrication that I really did not want to do.
3. Ease of install, powerworks comes with a manual that goes step by step with pictures and they also include a base tune to get you going, is it the best NO but does it work yes. JR again very easy install.
4. The powerworks kit makes more power than I can justify having on a focus. 280ish hp and 230ish tq (maybe more depends on tune and supporting mods), you already have about 0 traction with this power so why make a 400hp monster turbo build (beyond me). This is where you might lack but is 200-215hp fun, yes.

I have nothing against turbo's as I will tell you they are the better way to go in almost every aspect, however superchargers are generally much more affordable and the ease of install is generally much easier especially for someone who has a limited mechanical know-how. Do what you choose, the kit you are looking at sounds like a great deal and will certainly make your car an entirely different machine, I've ridden in SRT-4's, as well as other turbo'd cars as well as a PW focus, and a JRSC focus and loved all of them, any way that you go you will be happy.

#28 ·
Actually I cant say anything bad about the PWSC... at least they didnt use undersized SC's in their products... and they took the time to give you cooling... which you could have had with the JRSC IF you had a JAP car.

#32 · (Edited)
i think we can leave it at turbo's in general have much more potential but are a little more costly and slightly more complicated to install. Superchargers are limited by their very nature but are generally cheaper and easier to install.
- as for reliability, they are equal. Both will leave your motor in pieces if you dont do it right

#36 ·
Pretty good summary. If you have the ability take a ride in both, really think about what you want to do and go with it!

#35 ·
Yea I don't see the JRSC keeping up with a stock SRT4 my buddy drives an 05 SRT4 and I am pretty impressed with its power. I will have to see how the PWSC hangs with his stock SRT4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.