·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yep. Stock

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay I was routing the belt wrong and now it is binding the tensioner. I don't know what is going on because everything is factory but I am about 1/4 of inch too much.

Should I just go get a new belt but what size belt comes with the BBK?

I got the belt to go on but the tensioner was maxed out and would return its natural location. It is a brand new one.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got the belt to go on but the tensioner was maxed out and wouldn't return its natural location. It is a brand new one.

Here is a pic

Should I just go get a new belt but what size belt comes with the BBK?

maybe this should be in the forced induction forum

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I dont have the info here, but i can find out monday if no one else tells you by then.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The couple JRSC kits we have done max out the belt tensioner also.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
b16sir1991 said:
The couple JRSC kits we have done max out the belt tensioner also.
Well the thing is it puts the belt up against the new altenator bracket when it over exerts it. In otherwords the belt tensioner won't return to its orginal side, it stays locked up against this piece..

Here is a pic

I am done except for this, the fuel filter, and have to plug in the tune once I get it back.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
None of the ones we have done did that? Thats very strange.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: JRSC BBK Belt Question

"Yes, that belt was tight, even though it was the one that came with the kit and was routed as specified. I had a talk with Mr. Jackson about it, and he said from time to time you'll get slight variances in belt length, and even the pulley positions on the car. When both of those work against you, it makes the belt install tough!"

The gentleman that had the same problem pm'd me with this information.

I am posting this for anyone else with the same problem.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Thats some good info there. Thankfully I had no problem putting mine on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now this is going to funk things up - JR used two different alternator brackets. The one you have is probably the old one. See how in the picture the tensioner bolt is tucked high up by the metal idler pulley? Well if yours is not tucked up that high then you have an old alternator bracket/kit and need to go with the OLD BRACKET OLD BELT SIZE method and disregard all the new Ford racing BBK stuff because the BBK was not even around yet when that bracket was in use. The new bracket was introduced to fix the "start up squeal problem.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
justjeffrey said:
Now this is going to funk things up - JR used two different alternator brackets. The one you have is probably the old one. See how in the picture the tensioner bolt is tucked high up by the metal idler pulley? Well if yours is not tucked up that high then you have an old alternator bracket/kit and need to go with the OLD BRACKET OLD BELT SIZE method and disregard all the new Ford racing BBK stuff because the BBK was not even around yet when that bracket was in use. The new bracket was introduced to fix the "start up squeal problem.
I am pretty sure it is the new bracket as I bought the kit brand new through justing but from JR just a few weeks ago. In fact Jackson Racing was out of them and had to wait on new ones to come in.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
is the generation 2 alternator bracket the new one and will it fit on my 03. dont mean to steal steal a thread but i just bought a gen 2 bracket for my kit because it didnt come with the brackets and i need to know if i got the right one.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes and in worst case situation, you will need to use the belt for the larger non bbk pulley.

I just read that you have a regular zx3 and I don't know, just give Jackson Racing a call.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tls_bmx you will be ok. They all bolt up the same. Hillyard is right, all you would need is the longer belt to go with the new belt routing design. Its hella confusing...
I have a BBK'd ZX3 and I run a 104.5 length Gates belt and it fits just perfect. Seriously, just perfect. The 103.7 Motorcraft belt that came with my BBK was way too f'ing tight. My pops and I looked at it like f-that. I had a brand new tensioner and it had to be bound all the way taught to even get one lip of the belt on. I know things are supposed to be tight but with the tensioner bound all the way like that I would think it would begin to loose its tensioning effect...
I dont know but I chucked the belt that came with my BBK and bought two 104.5's one for the car and one as a spare.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
thanks, Im glad its gonna fit, i dont have a belt yet any way so i was going to have to get one any way. where did you get your 104.5 gates belt?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got it from a local parts house here in Goleta Californina. Larry's....
CarQuest cross ref's the same Gates numbers - you can get carquest parts at kragen or any commercial parts counter. 104.5 is how many inches the belt is. Thats why i like them - funk the metric measurements!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts