Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be crazy, but is it possible to put a 8" W7 (6.83" depth) into the stock sub box in the SVT focus? I don't have the sub box right now so I can't measure it, if not how about a 10" W3 with some modifications (5.93" depth)?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
it has been done before.
Most the time you need to attach a 1/2" or 1" MDF ring with epoxy resin or something.

I fit a 10" inverted into the svt box.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes, i have done it, but trust me, a JL 10w1v2 is much better. If you want that done, i can have it done for you. Its very cheap to do, all you need to do is ship me your enclosure and sub (or i can get you the sub at 5% over cost) and ill have it done. Its the same thing i have done and cant describe how much better it sounds.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
a 10w1v2 is better than an 8w7???

·
Registered
291 Posts
did you get an aftermarket amp b16?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sorry Blane, i didnt notice the he said a W7. Ihave talked to him a couple times filling him in on what he may want to do or not to do. I really thought he had said a regular w0. My bad. The stock enclosure works very well with a 10w1v2.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The 10w1v2 works fine with the stock amp. I used it for quite awhile, and installed a Pioneer to boost it up a bit. But after all that work, it still sounds about the same as the factory one did, lol.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Word. I was about to go back to the local shop and tell them to cancel my order. lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
I thought about inverting a w7 in the sony audiophile box..but when i looked at the recommended airspace of the w7, i thought the factory box would be a little small.

After much thought i decided to go with a sound splinter rli 8". The sound splinter brand name might not impress as many people as JL, but the sub is every bit as good as a W7.

It sounds great, and has plenty of output, and the low end is really impressive for a single 8" driver in a sealed enclosure. Installing it was beyond simple.. put it in upside down, and screw it in.. and the rli only cost $165..lot cheaper than i saw w7's selling for.

plus the ass on this thing is just oh so sexi.. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does the cu^3 ft of the audiophile box match the specs that Jl reccoments for a sealed encloseure for that sub? How about tuning? That would be the only thing i would be worried about.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
This is the JL 10w1v2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys this is a lil bit off topic but i am new to this site... and to working on foci for that matter. anyways i love how clean the svt box is, i was wondering if it would fit in my zx3 or if it only came in the 5door. i havnt done much research on this so i did have a few questions: was it hard to mod it to take the 10in, and can you find these anywhere other than a part out?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
djsaint317 said:
hey guys this is a lil bit off topic but i am new to this site... and to working on foci for that matter. anyways i love how clean the svt box is, i was wondering if it would fit in my zx3 or if it only came in the 5door. i havnt done much research on this so i did have a few questions: was it hard to mod it to take the 10in, and can you find these anywhere other than a part out?
A SVT/audiophile sub/box will pop up every now and then on for sale section...

The box should fit all zx3 and zx5's to my knowledge...

the one that won't fit is the mach audio sub, amp's from the sony package on those mach audio sedans...

If I am wrong, someone else will correct me...

As for my box, it took about 4-5 hours to modify it to fit my 10"

·
Registered
352 Posts
I put an MTX thunder series in the original box. It wasn't terribly difficult. I cut that little cone thing out that bolts to the back of the OEM sub. Plastic welded a flat peice of HDPE plastic to the back to cover the whole. Trimmed out the face to accept the 10" sub and that was it. I thought it was the easiest box that i have done to date.

This mod took about an hour and a half. I got the HDPE plastic from a friend at a local plastic factory for free.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ncslavens, sounds great doesnt it? Yes, you can add the Audiophile box to a standard zx3 or zx5. You will need to trim the floor carpet but that about it. If you find one for sale, be sure to get the carpet cover if you can. Its very expensive from Ford.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, this thing makes my eye balls bounce[headbang]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts