Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ATX 03 Zx5, Which chip is better the Jet performance chip or the diablo or the Superchips? I know the Jet is cheapest but..?

Thanks, Shawn

Now including superchips (forgot about them)

·
Registered
325 Posts
superchip
Hey, Fokuzsport

I'm thinking you have a MTX tranny, and yet you find a chip helpful. I've heard some say that if you have an MTX , don't bother with the chip.
Will the superchip increase torque?
Will is smooth out the torque curve? ( it is realtively good but dips a bit from 3K-3.5K, or so dynotests show on other Zetecs)
Will it reset the rev limiter?
Wil it increase HP?

I know, these topics have been talked to death but I'm never sure when people talk about a product, if they actually use it. From your web page, it appears you acutally use the superchip.
BTW, way nice Fokuz.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Auto logic is probably them best since it allows for a tuner to custom tailor it to your specs.

Jet or Diablo, Neither, save your money for real mods.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Jake said:
Hey, Fokuzsport

I'm thinking you have a MTX tranny, and yet you find a chip helpful. I've heard some say that if you have an MTX , don't bother with the chip.
Will the superchip increase torque?
Will is smooth out the torque curve? ( it is realtively good but dips a bit from 3K-3.5K, or so dynotests show on other Zetecs)
Will it reset the rev limiter?
Wil it increase HP?

I know, these topics have been talked to death but I'm never sure when people talk about a product, if they actually use it. From your web page, it appears you acutally use the superchip.
BTW, way nice Fokuz.
eh? are you talking about my cardomain page?

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah i have the diablo chip....i dont think it did anything for me.....they r pretty worthless if u ask me......ne1 want to buy mine?...lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
eh? are you talking about my cardomain page?
Sure.

Jet or Diablo, Neither, save your money for real mods
This is the kinda thing I hear. Its confusing. [???:)] So they don't really increase HP or Torque, then eh?

Anybody got a link to a independent dynamometer check on these chips?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I can't remember the exact numbers but the new Ford Focus handbook dyno'd the diablosport chip.
It's gained +12lbs of torque at 2500 RPM's and +1-2hp at 6KRPM's.
You could possibly get more because they used 87 octane gas and just added some octane booster, which usually only increases the octane by 10 points or 1 octane.

I have the diablosport delta and have turned it off and it does make a difference.

1. Gets rid of tip in off the line. When you don't have the chip, when you press the gas pedal, there is a short delay before your car actually gets gas. For those who don't have the chip, try it. You car does not accelerate immediately off the line.

2. When the chip is off, off the line accelleration seems to be lacking compared to when the chip is on. Must be that +12lbs of torque that kicks in at 2.5K RPM's.

So, for +$200 bucks, it doesn't seem like much but look how much people are paying for intakes like the volant that make +2-3WHP.

Also, you get rid of that 108mph speed limiter. Kind of annoying that your car is doing 108mph at about 4KRPM when your redline is about 6K.

I would go get my car dyno'd but I rather spend $100 bucks on something useful.
I'd rather wait til I get some better mods before getting a dyno.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
micro...forget that book, from what i have seen its pretty useless...i have never seen a car in person dyno with a chip and without...gaining power...mostly its a 1hp peak loss and just about the same for torque, though midrange picked up a little...unless you have a race header, forced induction, lopey cams, and a few other little things, a chip is useless.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Well, that book is the only documentation of a dyno test with the diablosport chip on and off.

Unless someone has some other dyno numbers prooving gain or loss on a dyno, I can only provide the book as some fact by a reputable guy in the car industry.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
microtonal said:
Well, that book is the only documentation of a dyno test with the diablosport chip on and off.

Unless someone has some other dyno numbers prooving gain or loss on a dyno, I can only provide the book as some fact by a reputable guy in the car industry.
i just said it...hell focaltech himself has done it.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
using a dyno...what other methods would you use...you don't change anything cept for a cool down and reset the ecu. run with it...remove it, reset ecu, get back on dyno, run again

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
OK. But over and over again on this forum and others, people say that after an ECU reset, you should go run you car for a while(approx. 10-15 minutes) so your ECU/computer can learn any mods.

So, if you just turn the car off, install the chip, reset the ECU and run the dyno, perhaps your car/ECU hasn't registered the full potential of the chip/mod. I dunno. Just making an observation.

I'm not saying the book is right or your wrong. Just saying that different methods and approaches to dyno testing can give you different results. Just like performing a dyno on a cool 10 degree day and a 101 degree day. Maybe their environment and methods were different and that's why they got the results that they did.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well i have heard chips work and dont work...The diablo sport looks pretty promissing...Focussport.com has it and tells you a little about it. I dont think they would sell it if it didnt do anything. But I have no expierence with it so do what you want.[confused]

·
Registered
325 Posts
I called Superchip today and asked if their chip would really make a 10% HP and 13% Torque improvement on a Zetec engine. He said, "yup". He claims 13 whp and 16torque increase over stock. Sure sounds tempting.
BTW I apreciate you guys discussing this on the forum. I'm thinking about doing other performance mods first, esp. a CAI, then maybe the chip.

[offtopic] I'm please with Sun auto electrics Hyper Ground System. They claim 3whp increase but the other advantages are more significant. 12-14% mpg increase, idle is much smoother as is engine during accelaration. Also, makes all electrical powered systems work better incl a better sounding CD player.
I goes for about $140 plus install.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Id say Diablo sport looks pretty promissing. I have a few friends that chipped their car and had good feedback from it. Ive never heard of bad feedback till i read it just now. Focussport.com sells the diablo sport chip and I dont think they would sell it if it didnt do anything...They are a credible site from prospective. I havent any expierence with a chip my self so its your choice.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Chips in standard form aren't helpful unless you have an auto trans and want firmer shifts.

I have done back to back testing of superchips and Diablo chips.

On my own car I tuned my setup on the dyno cam gear adjustments and all. Took the car off the dyno reset the ECU and drove for 15 miles. Redyno'd the car and found a 1 hp loss.
The only reason I keep the chip in my car is b/c I have cam gears set and a motor mount and the raised idle keeps the vibration down.

Turbo tom also did various tests of the chips comparitively and found almost no difference in them and nearly no gain.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Like I said. Maybe their testing methods and environment was different and gave them those results. Richard Holdener is a reputible car enthusist and his documented dyno testing of the Diablosport chip on the fOCUS is hard to dispute when there are no other public documented dyno tests of the Diablosport chip.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts