Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone coated their Cat or Cat back before?

Just curious. I plan on getting the header coated after I weld in some EGT ports, but I might send the RT Cat and Stock Catback.

Thoughts?

-Brian

·
Registered
511 Posts
Won't it get TOO hot if you coat the CAT???? I know it needs to be hot to run properly, but I think if it gets too hot, it melts the insides.......

As for the cat-back, I don't see how it can hurt.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Jet-Hot does not coat Cats, no coating company does. I got my headers done by them it was sweet, but be prepared to be car-less for at least a week.

Artood, jet-hot coating cools down the temps, the reason they don't coat Cats is because Cats need to be hot to operate properly and coating them cuts down that temp.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a spare header to send in. Shouldnt the inside of the coated surface be hotter? I thought the ceramic just helps insulate on the inside and dissipate heat on the outside?

·
Registered
530 Posts
SHould i coat my headers or wrap them??? how much does this run???

·
Registered
511 Posts
HTPerformance said:
I have a spare header to send in. Shouldnt the inside of the coated surface be hotter? I thought the ceramic just helps insulate on the inside and dissipate heat on the outside?
That's what I thought. From my researching, the coating insulates the header, hence keeping heat dissipation down (cooler surface but hotter exhaust gases). If that were the case, the surface of the CAT would be much cooler to the touch, but the insides would be hotter than molten lava. But I may be wrong.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a quote from Jet-Hot.com for $165 for the sterling 1300F and $190 for the 2000F coating. (all + return shipping/handling)

Also contacting HPCoatings.com to get an idea of their prices. They even have a 2500F coating which might even further reduce engine bay temps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
let me know what you find out. I am also looking to do this in the future.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I have 2 headers, I could conceivably get one from Jet-Hot.com and one from HPCoatings.com and test them both on the dyno.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
511 Posts
And then you can give me the one that you don't want [:D]

DO IT!!!!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But what are the specs on them? Has anyone tried one? We do not know how they compare to Jet Hot or other coatings.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I think they are ceramic coated, I am ordering one soon because I don't want to wait again for a week for my headers to be coated. My old ones took a week to get it from jet-hot, I honestly didn't notice much difference. So I figured this would be the easiest way.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if you can get one of those laser temp readers, can you tell us before and after skin temps?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are they offering the stock SVT header coated or the modified-for-regular-focus one (the one that comes with the heat shield, dipstick and EGR fittings)????

If it's the stock SVT header then consider me very intrigued........

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is the stock SVT header that is coated. The big question is who coats it and what are the specs? The image in the catalog looked pretty crappy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts