Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me? (I'm just finding my way around this site, so bear with me) 2001 1600cl, interior lights, rear heated screen and wipers all stopped working at the same time, door alarm chime (for left lights on) also stopped. Plus jumpy in 2nd & 3rd and radio crackles at same time! This morning engine warning light came on on way to dealer. They say £624 for new computer, coil, h/t leads and diagnostics. Is the car even worth that much money? If anyone has any info or knowledge please help! Car is still with dealer but nothing but diagnostics done so far....[:(]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Did you get struck by lightning or something?
It sounds like there must have been a giant current overload and it took a lot with it, if the dealer is being truthful with you.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would say perhaps coil, h/t leads and diagnostics, but imho not the computer. I think it just needs to be reflashed. But iminhell raises a good point. If not some recent catastrophic event lately, then you have other electrical issues you need to get addressed. From reading other post I understand some of the early year focus ground harness needs attn after a while a an example. I.E. I would find the root cause before spending that kind of cash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies - Garage work carried out - apparently 'IDS' was connected but vehicle could not communicate with module so they replaced module.IDS traced other faults to coil assembley and HT leads so they replaced those. I have to take car back in January so will ask about ground harness. If I was struck by lightening I didn't know about it but the bill from the dealership gave me a bloody shock!!! Bargained them down from £624 to £552 gasp...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
What is the "'IDS'"? That what we call the ECU (the computer)?
that price is enough to take your breath away! Youch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know exactly what IDS is, I think it's the dignostics tool the garage use - but while I'm here, what it the module? Plus I know this sounds paranoid but I asked the garage before they did the work to keep all the old parts and guess what? They only kept the ht leads! How can I tell if they really replaced the 'module' and the coil? P.S. TO djmantera - I'm in England too!!!! London even!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, What I do if I know what parts are going to be replaced is, I mark them. Does not need to be subtle. Later I just see if its my mark. An indelible pen works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts