Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my Focus jerks while driving at a constant speed, worse when under 2000 rpm. It doesn't jerk during acceleration. I got a error code for the EGR valve awhile back and replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. Any ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
More common for the DPFE sensor to go bad, the sensor controls EGR valve. The valves rarely go bad.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
That title is just plain nasty..............

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Quick and dirty check to see if the DPFE sensor is shot-locate the EGR valve. Remove the vacuum line attached to the top of it. Plug the vacuum line with a golf tee or a screw. If stuttering stops it is the DPFE that is in need of replacement. Even if you clear the code this mod will cause it to eventually return.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Low EGR Flow doesn't necessarily mean the valve is bad, though a lot of mechanics will tell you that then look all confused when replacing it doesn't fix the problem.

When I got that code it was related to a small exhaust manifold leak. Waaaaaay cheaper than a new EGR valve...or it will be if I ever get around to fixing it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I try to save the jerking for home.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
No 'distributer' on these...............

Could be coil, pull and look at in sunlight for very fine cracks, they let moisture in to short the windings. Coils change just like plugs on these cars. A regular maintenance item.

Do the DPFE check posted higher, that will tell you if EGR has anything to do with it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Yes, jerking at home keeps one out of jail

·
Registered
102 Posts
No 'distributer' on these...............

Could be coil, pull and look at in sunlight for very fine cracks, they let moisture in to short the windings. Coils change just like plugs on these cars. A regular maintenance item.

Do the DPFE check posted higher, that will tell you if EGR has anything to do with it.
coil I mean, I guess I need to replace mine now... thanks again amc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick and dirty check to see if the DPFE sensor is shot-locate the EGR valve. Remove the vacuum line attached to the top of it. Plug the vacuum line with a golf tee or a screw. If stuttering stops it is the DPFE that is in need of replacement. Even if you clear the code this mod will cause it to eventually return.
THANK YOU! Just tried this and it fixed it! I've put nearly 500 into parts trying to figure this out, never would of guessed this. New sensor ordered. Thank you all for the help![wave]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts