Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ZX4 ST and about 6 months ago the CD player took a crap. I need tunes while I drive so I'm thinking of replacing the unit with something current. I was looking at a Jensen VM9224 DVD receiver online at Crutchfield.com, but unsure if it will work with my car, or if that's even the right choice. Does anyone have this unit or know of something better for around $300. I'll be installing it myself (wish me luck) and don't need/want anything to fancy as it could be stolen, I could mess it up, and I'm also fairly broke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jensen == bad brand

I have a 2005 ZX4 ST and about 6 months ago the CD player took a crap. I need tunes while I drive so I'm thinking of replacing the unit with something current. I was looking at a Jensen VM9224 DVD receiver online at Crutchfield.com, but unsure if it will work with my car, or if that's even the right choice. Does anyone have this unit or know of something better for around $300. I'll be installing it myself (wish me luck) and don't need/want anything to fancy as it could be stolen, I could mess it up, and I'm also fairly broke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I haven't owned that specific Jensen, but I have had a Jensen receiver (and a couple other non-car audio products). I have since vowed to never give Jensen any of my money again. I eventually upgraded to one of the cheapest JVC head units (which wasn't much more $ than the Jensen) and was blown away with how much nicer everything about it was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the sony xav622 is around 300 online. ive never actually seen it running tho. aesthetically looks nice too. i dont know much about it.

this pioneer avhp3200bt is a factory referb for 280 from sonic http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39354_Pioneer-AVH-P3200BT-Factory-Refurbished.html

ive seen the pioneer upclose. its a nice lookin unit but i personally hate the interface and the touch screen doesnt seen that responsive. i had to finger punch it a few times to get her to respond.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the look (larger screen) of the Pioneer AVH-P4300, and I'll look into it more, but not a huge fan of any motorized face plate. I'm the kinda person with that "special" luck that the motor will die on a couple months later. Are there any other brands that would work?

thanks for you're posts so far. good info. keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
jensen is like a walmart brand, you would be better off going to walmart and getting a sony or pioneer deck from them. i would suggest pioneer never had issues with them. sony has good ipod abilities, works better and smoother. here is a nice pioneer with a good rep behind it. 4.7 outta 5 on sale right now for $129.99 less then half of the $300 limit http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31080_Pioneer-DEH-6300UB.html

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I like the look (larger screen) of the Pioneer AVH-P4300, and I'll look into it more, but not a huge fan of any motorized face plate. I'm the kinda person with that "special" luck that the motor will die on a couple months later. Are there any other brands that would work?

thanks for you're posts so far. good info. keep it coming.
motorized screens are a bad idea, the cold will get to them and wear it down faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any one know if Kenwood DDX418 DVD receiver is any good? on the crutchfield site the majority of double DIN's compatible with my car are either Jensen or Kenwood. i don't know much about either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In my progression, I would choose Pioneer, then Kenwood and then Sony. It also depends on what you would like in terms of system expansion. I had a Kenwood DNX6160 that I loved, but it only had 2 sets of pre-outs (front, rear/sub) for amplifier connection and they were only rated at 2V. I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and I like it one, because it has a 7 band EQ over the 3 band of the Kenwood and two, it has 3 sets of pre-outs rated at 4V (front, rear, sub). Not a Jensen fan, though. I have seen too many problems from them...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
pioneer for the win!!! fyi they make line drivers for those pre-outs, ive seen a 2db gain from them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
In my progression, I would choose Pioneer, then Kenwood and then Sony. It also depends on what you would like in terms of system expansion. I had a Kenwood DNX6160 that I loved, but it only had 2 sets of pre-outs (front, rear/sub) for amplifier connection and they were only rated at 2V. I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and I like it one, because it has a 7 band EQ over the 3 band of the Kenwood and two, it has 3 sets of pre-outs rated at 4V (front, rear, sub). Not a Jensen fan, though. I have seen too many problems from them...
Hey you have the 4200 in your car? How well does the motorized screen work with the double din dash kit for the first gens?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts