Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my re-enlistment is coming up and I may have the opporturnity to bring my car to my next duty station in Japan. If all goes well, I will definately do it.

I checked the "...highest octane..." thread, and I seen some guys from other countries run 100 Octane. However, I also read that the rating system may be different. So 91 in Europe may be 87 here in America.

Japan uses 89-91 as regular, and 96-100 is high octane. I'm thinking about getting a tune for 100 with an updated Cat. But if I do not have to, then I won't.

Anyone have any experience with Japanese octane or fuel grades in general?

Or...any other ideas & suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good point, I was stationed in Germany a while back. The EU ratings are research number ONLY. US and Canada we use R+M / 2. Motor index is ALWAYS lower than research number because no cylinder in any engine in its cycle's condition(s) is 100% perfect. It's a matter of accounting, the rest is finding autobahn without traffic jams.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
were is MCAS Beaufort i'm at fort jackson you should meet up with focal point there are alot of military

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
contact someone in japan and discuss thier gas, search google or something. i believe it is differant (like limeyrider said) because if you get a 100octane tune then you put thier "100" in it, it might not be such a good thing

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I wouldn't get a 100 octane tune. Chances are their 100 octane won't be the same as our 100 octane. Find out what it is exactly and then go with a tune a couple octane numbers below that just to be safe.

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking the same thing guys.

My wife is Japanese, she talked to her brother in Japan about this. He said he would go check it out. If he doesn't pull through, I'll do some more research. I will do the tune last as soon as the numbers are final.

svtguy21...when is the next one? I have about 5-7 months before I leave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts