Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Just F*#k'd Up My Manifold, Weee!

well, it all started with that freakin' dsi clip that I fixed, lol. Seems the screw pulled out of the hole I made and my cable was dangling with the screw/post still in it. Tried to put it back in and glue it in this time....no dice. pulled out again.

so, I had a new actuator ("clip") piece in the garage and figured [idea] I would just put that in there and be done with it....and oh, its done alright [V]

Pulling that actuator off is a PITA, but I finaly got it off, put the spring in and started putting the new actuator on, but it fit so damn tight and lube wasnt helping (get your mind outta the gutter)....so I started tapping on it and I guess I tapped a little too hard cause now I cannot move the actuator...the runners are STUCK. [?|] which just so happend to rhyme with SUCK [?|]

My question here is, how much of a pita is it to swap it out for a new intake? While my car is still under extended powertrain warraty, I seriously doubt they will warranty it. Esp with the intake, UDP, wires, tb that they are going to come upon. So I am figuring I would get bent over having the stealership fix it...might be better off if I can do it myself.

Anyone?

[B)]

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so no one has any insight on this?

ie. how long/hard it is to swap out the part (looks pretty easy, am I missing something?)

anyone have their replaced at the dealer?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
your mods have no conceivable way of jamming the runners. go read up on magnusson moss, and go to the dealer. if you have the extended powertrain warranty, it'll be covered

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, thats what i would think...however once the mechanic gets in there and notices the lack of dirt/dust...and the missing retainer clip on the actuator, I am pretty sure the flag is going to go up that i messed with it.....therefore no warranty. right now I am not in the position financially, to pay 100+ dollars for them to tell me, "sorry cant do this under warranty"

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I don't know how hard a SVT Intake Manifold is to install but you could try Jeremy At Focussalvage.com and see if he has any lying around. or you could also maybe try svtsalvage.com and see if he anything available. If not, svtsalvage.com can order you new parts for 10% over cost.

I know when i swapped my 03 intake mani out to a ported 00 intake mani, it was a PITA. The alternator was a beoch to remove or get out of the way and being an SVT with the DSI will just add to the headache. I started my install at 10am and didn't finish untill 7pm..........

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as it ends up, I just bought a new manifold through Steve @ Tousley Ford...very nice guy. We talked a bit about the repair job and it seems that i am not the only one who had a hard time getting the new part on...we even went about it the same way: socket on an extention - tapped it with a hammer. Lucky for him, he didnt jam up his intake.

New intake on the way and I am ordering up some new, blue couplings and clamps through CFM while I am at it. Since I couldnt find many pics of the intake fix, I will have to do a how to for you all.

Thanks Steve! I am looking forward to my new project at hand.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Magnus whatever cant help you for shit on your warranty kiddies. It says in the manual that you are to NOT MOD the car what so ever. Which Nullifies the Magnus Act. Its very easy. 4 clamps 2 bolts and a few vaccum lines. need to get to the bottom ones from under the car. With woble sockets take about 2 hours.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, seems I miraculously fixed it by merely driving it to work and back! I find this extremely odd since last night I couldnt budge it by hand, but now its moving free as ever. [8] perhaps it vibrated loose again?

Last night, I happened to leave the clip hooked up and today I was at work and it hit me...duh. Might not be a good thing to have it hooked up; motor pulling on a stuck actuator might not be healthy for it. Anyways, after work my friend and I were looking at it in the parking lot and I reached around the back of the engine and got a hold of the cable...it had tension on it and when I (in denial) tried to turn the DSI to give it some slack...it actually moved and I damn near crapped my pants. I am not sure where, during my commute, that it happened. I drove like a grandma to work...so how would I know? lol.

Anyways, be careful if you do replace the DSI clip...the piece can be a pain to pull off and put on. Just use some good lube and watch how hard you tap it back on there...believe me, it can be a chore and you will be tempted to show it who's man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My intake manifold hung up one time on me for 2 days it was getting stuck in short runner mode. And when that sucker finally let go all the times it did. I think like 2 or 3 times I knew it. One of the loudest bangs you would ever here plastic make. It scared me I was thinking I blew something up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts