Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the JRSC for the SVT and I was just wanting some input on it. I have heard that it is a nice SC when it has the "BIG BOOST" upgrade with it. Any input on it would be great and If there is another place to get it besides Ford Racing?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The JRSC is a good relatively cheap way to supercharge your car. Although after you put the BBK on it there really isn't room for much more hp with this S/C. Because the kit is not intercooled your only able to run about 10 lbs. of boost. If you want to make more power I would look into the Powerworks kit if you want a roots style blower. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Me!!! said:
Jackson Racing Supercharger - Old Faithful.
http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/Vie...eIndexID=37672

The Jackson Racing Supercharger is the oldest of the bunch. It is an Eaton m62 blower on a focus specific intake manifold with extremely short runners. It is the cheapest and lowest yielding of all the forced induction options. Not saying its bad, but with the addition of the Ford Big Boost Kit the blower is pretty much maxed out. It is un-intercooled and maxes out at about 10psi. Some have tried, with disasterous effects, to up the boost and have had good effects until the IAT's were high enough to detonate the engine to failure or melt a piston. Due to the inefficient nature of the roots blower, the JRSC is prone to heatsoak. This can be solved by both lowering the temperature of the engine bay and chemically by water meth injection.

Would be a good idea to upgrade...
Clutch for increased tq capacity.

Works well with beginner mods...
Could benefit from the 67mm Throttle Body.
Functional Hood Vent, removing the cowl-hood seal to release heat, creative ducting to introduce cool air onto the blower itself.

Typical Output
220f whp
180 fwtq
from the thread... http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105273

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So pretty much you are saying that the JRSC is a bad idea. Is there a way to intercool it like the Powerworks.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I wouldn't do it.... you'ld just get pissed.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its at least theoretically possible to intercool or aftercool the JRSC, but you'd be looking at needing to have a new intake manifold custom-fabricated with a heat exchanger built into it. And by then you would've spent less on the powerworks kit since it comes already set up like that and you wouldn't have to custom-fabricate anything.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya that is true but I dont know if I can fork out that much money for a PWSC. If I wanted to do that I would find a Turbo set up for alot less. I have been doing research but I cant really find anything. Little dumb in my opinion. Damn SVT are so hard to upgrade compared to a ZX3. Dont doubt it I love my SVT but it is soooo much harder to upgrade.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Don't know why people say they are bad? They are great. The best SC you can buy? Of course not, but def not a crappy kit. For a cheap blower on a budget it's fine. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money and have an extremely reliable power added, it fits the bill nicely. 220whp is more than plenty for a daily driver for me. All and all with install, tuning and BBK I spent right around $3300, not bad for what you get.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is very true. I am guessing that you like the JRSC. Have you had any trouble at all with it as in engine, drivetrain, so on so forth. I know that the clutch will need to be replaced with in 30,000 mile when driven nicely but who cares about the clutch they are disposable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've read a few threads like this, and thought I'd finally chime in. The SVTF is a great litttle package right off the shelf, with some nice pop for a 4-banger. Add the JRSC with the Ford BBK, and you've got plenty of juice to get you in all kinds of trouble before reaching third gear. I've had mine in just over a year now and absolutely love it. Installation was straight-forward, it fits in the engine bay nicely without getting in the way of most everything else, and with the included Ford tune, is good, dependable holy crap! fun. Sure, you could spend more for a few extra pounds of boost and bragging rights, but what's the point? There'll always be somebody faster. The JRSC/BBK combo is a great performance enhancer for the money, and at the same time will be easier on the mechanical parts downstream than some of the other higher-boost/higher-priced applications. Just MY 2 cents... buy it, and enjoy the whine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have sold and installed a number of these kits. The FR BBK kit is a very good tune out of the box and it picks up a stock car nicely. If you need a kit let me know.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read a few threads like this, and thought I'd finally chime in. The SVTF is a great litttle package right off the shelf, with some nice pop for a 4-banger. Add the JRSC with the Ford BBK, and you've got plenty of juice to get you in all kinds of trouble before reaching third gear. I've had mine in just over a year now and absolutely love it. Installation was straight-forward, it fits in the engine bay nicely without getting in the way of most everything else, and with the included Ford tune, is good, dependable holy crap! fun. Sure, you could spend more for a few extra pounds of boost and bragging rights, but what's the point? There'll always be somebody faster. The JRSC/BBK combo is a great performance enhancer for the money, and at the same time will be easier on the mechanical parts downstream than some of the other higher-boost/higher-priced applications. Just MY 2 cents... buy it, and enjoy the whine.
Thanks for the input man. That right there is going to make me want the setup. All I really needed was some input like that.

We have sold and installed a number of these kits. The FR BBK kit is a very good tune out of the box and it picks up a stock car nicely. If you need a kit let me know.
That would be great. I will contact you sometime.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
cool. its my personal opinion that the SVT should have had a BBK JRSC from the factory, but we all know how the car ended up. its great just dont expect to win many drags with it. but its been great for people that do auto-x and road racing. just remember to monitor IAT readings.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
yep... the problem is that the iat sensor is before the compressing of the air. therefore it may think that its ambient air temperature in the cylinder, but it is heated xx degrees from the blower. the problem is it uses a timing map from ambient air temp. which could lead to predetonation. catch my drift?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
true, but people who've done it havent been impressed with the results of the relocated iat sensor... meaning that the timing would be pulled way to early and way too often. however, that was only with one shop doing the tuning. you may get better luck with another.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts