Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys. got a used jackson racing supercharger about 30 feet away right now. everything is in good shape with the exception of the piggyback computer. previous owner mounted it incorrectly and melted most of it. his old car is wrecked so he sold me the s/c kit. just need to order the new piggyback. old owner says its good but it's my motor and i like it in one piece not seizing on me. i got the kit for fairly cheap, had a good mechanic friend take a look at it to make sure everything was straight and he gave it the big thumbs up. how much of a gain are you gonna get with this thing anyway? will a zx3 with long tube header, exhaust, and a jackson racing s/c hang with an SVT? i would think so but i'm just curious. i'm sure someone here has one on their car. bad thing though is that they recommend leaving the cams and everything in place for fear of destroying the engine. luckily i havnt done that yet so i'm good. what do you guys think? install it or sell it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,262 Posts
If you lived anywhere but Hawaii I'd say screw the black box and just get it tuned at a shop, but there probably aren't too many shops with dynos down there with experience tuning boosted Foci.

For gains, you aren't going to see much...the Eaton M43 blower JR picked for the non-SVT Focus kit is too small for a 2.0L application, it would work better on a 1.4/1.6L engine. The top gains I'd expect to see, especially with the black box, would be no more than 160 WHP and even less torque. Add the BBK and you might push it to 180 WHP (and less torque.) If you didn't get it for cheap I'd say you got ripped off, but if it was a deal then no harm done...
 

·
GO Green
Joined
·
11,148 Posts
my_red_zx3 said:
ok guys. got a used jackson racing supercharger about 30 feet away right now. everything is in good shape with the exception of the piggyback computer. previous owner mounted it incorrectly and melted most of it. his old car is wrecked so he sold me the s/c kit. just need to order the new piggyback. old owner says its good but it's my motor and i like it in one piece not seizing on me. i got the kit for fairly cheap, had a good mechanic friend take a look at it to make sure everything was straight and he gave it the big thumbs up. how much of a gain are you gonna get with this thing anyway? will a zx3 with long tube header, exhaust, and a jackson racing s/c hang with an SVT? i would think so but i'm just curious. i'm sure someone here has one on their car. bad thing though is that they recommend leaving the cams and everything in place for fear of destroying the engine. luckily i havnt done that yet so i'm good. what do you guys think? install it or sell it?
youd be able to hang with a svt with just the s/c. With the other mods youll be fine, get a bbk as well and then youll be able to crush a stock svt even more. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
u'll deff beat a stock svt but it might be more trouble than its worth. u might want to talk to tom about it and see if he can help you out
 

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
I would pass on the piggy black box tune and buy the BBK.
Costs around $399-500.
It comes with a smaller pulley, SVTF airbox, belt and TUNE.
With this, you'll definitely be hanging withe SVTF with no problems.

The black box also looks kind of messy under the hood with all the wires.
 

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
Also, change your fuel filter and get some 1-step colder plugs.

The Motorcraft AZFS-22C-F4 are the most commonly used for this application.

You might also want to change out the tensioner pulley while your at it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,238 Posts
SkaAddict said:
For gains, you aren't going to see much...the Eaton M43 blower JR picked for the non-SVT Focus kit is too small for a 2.0L application, it would work better on a 1.4/1.6L engine. The top gains I'd expect to see, especially with the black box, would be no more than 160 WHP and even less torque. Add the BBK and you might push it to 180 WHP (and less torque.) If you didn't get it for cheap I'd say you got ripped off, but if it was a deal then no harm done...
It's actually the Model 45, and according to Eaton's site,

'The Eaton Supercharger Model 45 is designed for 2.0L to 3.0L passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements.'

The problem is, Eaton's root blowers are only around 60% efficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
hey where in hawaii are you? i live on maui. i have 04 zx3 with the jrsc bbk,fc race header,flex and exhaust. and just the other night i raced a nissan sentra ser spec-v with i/h/e and won fairly easy. im not taking like 10 car lengths but at least 3-4. i say stick with the jrsc get the bbk upgrade its worth it. if not then i have a black box you can have if you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the misconception there guys. when i started this profile i was in hawaii. now i'm in alabama. i'm originally from florida so it's nice i guess.....freakin alabama.....damn you uncle sam....damn you to hell.....anyway. i diddnt think those sentra's were all that quick to beat out a blown focus! what the hell do you have to do to make this thing haul ass?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
you will not hang with SVT's........you will be faster than SVTs and with a clutch and the the BBK you will be even faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
+1 You'll smoke a Stock SVTF, get the BBK too and you'll be a good race for most of your avg Tunners out thier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,262 Posts
You might be able to hang with a stock SVT, but if the SVT has a few bolt-ons and a decent tune, they'll still smoke you in anything but drag racing. And if you're only upgrading or installing a blower to drag race, I'd suggest you seriously consider selling your Focus and buy a late 80's/early 90's Mustang GT.

thefrush said:
It's actually the Model 45, and according to Eaton's site,

'The Eaton Supercharger Model 45 is designed for 2.0L to 3.0L passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements.'

The problem is, Eaton's root blowers are only around 60% efficient.
IMO, if you're going to spend $2500+ on a supercharger, it should raise your output by more than ~40 HP. And its not like JR is going to say "the supercharger we chose for this kit does not have sufficent output for the application it was selected for" on their website; if they openly trash their own product they aren't going to sell too many units. I'd also point to the SVT JRSC with the M-62 blower and ask why the bigger blower when the engine is the same displacement? I think the answer to that is they figure someone who can afford a SVTF is going to be more willing to step up to the plate and lay down more money for real numbers. For what the non-SVT JRSC costs and what it puts down at the wheels, you'd be better off going with a worked head, port-matched intake manifold and stage II/III cams and a tune. It would give you the same, if not better gains for the same price, and that includes professional installation and tuning vs. bolting the JRSC on and running the black box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
or save up 500 more and by a well tuned turbo kit[:D]
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top