Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondered if it is possible to jack the whole front or whole back (rather than just a wheel at a time) of a focus (2006) with a trolley jack, and if so, where would be advisable to place it?

Thanks

Clarky [wave]

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been wondering about this myself.... got pics where you're talking about placement?

·
Registered
595 Posts
place the jack in the middle of the subframe(front or rear) that'll get both tires up in the air at the same time, make sure you get some jack stands under there too....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably be lifting the car at the weekend, will try and get some pics of underneath so we can establish the correct locations.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
THe FRONT subframe by the "dogbone" is listed as an "official" jacking point - it's NOT centered, but it DOES work....

At the rear, IF you are careful & use a timber to bridge to BOTH sides of the rear cross-member - you CAN jack it there, and it's central & balanced... On the BAD side, do it wrong, and you need a NEW rear sub frame.... SO be careful, know what you're doing, or don't try it..... ( 4x4 worked for me, but it's BARELY wide enough...)

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
Better to do both sides with two jacks, more secure that way. Other reasons to have two jacks also, don't think you won't use them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Better to do both sides with two jacks, more secure that way. Other reasons to have two jacks also, don't think you won't use them.
I was afraid to jack from the pinch welds because I heard it could ever so slightly tweak the unibody on a civic 8th gen and could cause the door latch to rub.

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
Every time you jack pretty anywhere on ANY unibody car you warp something, try jacking high and see how well the doors open, 9 times out of 10 they mess up, but lowering jack lets car warp back in shape again. I've seen jacking actually crack a windshield (not on a Focus, don't panic!) when the opening warped slightly. Focus doors won't latch correctly while lifted up, they go back to working fine when jack dropped. The factory Ford jacking points tear up the outriggers lickety-split.

Safety doing this far more important than condition of car...............

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has any one Jacked a Focus from the center points? Any problems? BTW; I Have a Heavy Duty 3 ton Floor Jack, 3/8" Padded Steel load spreader plate, if all that will go under the car !!?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts