Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that this item is a major plus when forced induction is introduced to my SVTF. I have read the description of it and I am still somewhat confused as to what it does better. I understand that my car has a factory knock sensor which I am sure works fine, but I am still curious as to why purchase this. I am not going against anyones better judgment, but doesn't it do the same thing as the factory knock sensor? Please bear with me as I have severe ADD and sometimes over look small things when it comes to things like this. If someone could explain to me its main purpose over stock, I would appreciate the help.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
The stock SVT knock sensor is inadequate when running forced induction or even a built NA motor. The J&S is hyper sensitive when compared to the stock knock sensor and will adjust timing to one or all cylinders, depending on how you set up the unit.

I've heard of J&S's being so sensitive to catch engine knock, you can tap on the bottom of a running motor with a screwdriver and the J&S will detect it and adjust timing accordingly.

So.......if you plan on going FI, plan on picking up one of these safeguard units. You'll protect your motor in a number of scenarios.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think most tuners turn off the OEM knock sensor on SVT applications when running forced induction. So the aftermarket J&S does a good job in its place.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
The factory knock sensor tends to add timing until it sees knock. It my situation this resulted in a blown motor. I now have a J&S

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. That clears up some things. Thanks alot for your help, guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have my attention. Enlighten me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've read about the J&S but im not that familiar with it. i've heard so many good things about the J&S. people that have turbo and saved their motor from blowing. but i've read the the J&S also works with nitrous and supercharges so thats cool [^]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The biggest thing is you can NOT log the SVT's KS.... so you really dont know what its doing. Even with all of the KS's adders turned off (so it wont add timing) you still dont know when its pulling timing so basically tuning without a J&S is a guessing game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts