Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im waiting to get my car back from the apex boost controller install,boosting 14lbs. tuned by tom on a sct prp, which i havent installed on my laptop cause i dont have one. but i was thinking bout this j&s engine monitor, or should i just get a laptop and mess around with my prp?
is this j&s worth it?
how hard is the install?
any other requirements for install other then the part itself?
is there anyone that isnt selling for a million $?
J & S link
thanks

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
The J&S is more or less 'engine insurance.'
It doesn't add power. It detects audible or inaudible deto and pulls timing to get rid of it.

A tune can be as perfect as it can be but you can never expect the unexpected.

The J&S, I'm sure you read, pulls timing when deto is detected.
Sure, tuning can help clear this up but you just never know when a timing belt, high engine temps or some other vital part of the engine fails and you start detonating and have no provisions to pull timing fast enough to possibly save your engine.

You can get a 2 1/6 gauge that shows how much timing is being pulled so if you start to see that thing light up to full meter maximum, you better let off the gas.

The price on it may seem steep but what is your engine worth to you after dumping $3000+ into it ?

They are hand made and of high quality and have proprietary electronics and software.
I just received mine and will be installing it this weekend. The install is pretty straight forward. A few wires to the ECU, sensitivity adjustment and then set the dip switches to the desired mode. The instructions fully detail what you need to do.

Currently, no vendor stocks them but CFM will be stocking them in the near future.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now, what is it that i need ?
T3 Vampire Coil Driver: Use with stock ECU and dumb coils or standalone with dwell control and ignitor. Connects directly to coil negative terminal (e.g. Ford Focus, BMW, and Hyundai Tiburon). NOT FOR CDI systems.
T3 2ch $485
T3 3ch $495
T3 4ch $505 ?????

and / or

Dual Monitor (Knock Retard/Air-Fuel)- 52mm billet = $179.00
is there anything lese neded for proper monitoring?
thanks

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I would at least get the single knock monitor. The dual is if you want to monitor A/F but if you have a narrowband O2 sensor, that thing is going to light up like a Xmas tree all the time and may drive you nuts.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You'll need the J&S 2-channel Focus Vampire kit. It's not specifically listed under the products page.

It connects to 4 pins on the ECU just as shown in the wiring diagram you posted.
Power
Coil1
Coil2
Knock sensor

*The TPS is optional but most don't use it.

It's best to call J&S or send them an email to get the specific items/info you need.
You will get the detailed install instructions with your package.
John will hook you up with what you need.

Just be aware that these are hand made and may take several weeks to receive after making payment(if not COD). John will give you an estimated time of delivery once you can establish a payment.
Once you get a response from J&S and get the info you need, it's best to make payment and get your order started to get in line to get one built for you.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you very much for your usefull info!!
how big is the gauge of the dual monitor?
thanks

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Both the single knock monitor and dual(knock and A/F) are 2 1/16"
They should fit in your standard 2 1/16" guage pods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts