Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a small thin part below the exhaust to prevent heat to reach the oil pan.

The muffler mecanic told me it dosen't matter.

What do you guys think?[:)]

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Are you sure it's Aluminum?

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy told me he does this very often and since my car is not a 8 it dosen't matter.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Sounds like you removed the upper heat shield on the cat. I don't thimk you have any reason for concern but what's my opinion wirth if you run into a problem. Take a look at your oil temperature gauge and as long as it doesn't kick much higher then don't sweat it. I have ran the RT highflow cat which sits damned near touching the pan and my oil temperature rose a slight amount. If it were me and I was running the stock cat, then yeah I would probably leave it on there and use some clamps to keep it from rattling. I agree with your muffler guy, it really doesn't matter and honestly I wouldn't waste a technicians time with this.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
I would not have removed it. it slows the heat transfer of the catlytic convertor heat to the oil.

Only really makes a difference at idle.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Ford dealers usually place a metal hose clamp around it (both shields), tighten it up and call it a day. You should be able to find the right size hose clamps anywhere and it's a 5 minute job if you felt like taking it on yourself.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I know that I've heard that before. I had my coolant temp drop slightly on the guage and my oil temp rise slightly when I did watter wetter and the RT highflow. I haven't ever looked at how its wired but the gauges went opposite each (slightly) with both. Shit I thought it was somewhat legit [?|]

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
has anyone checked the wiring ? Ive heard stories of it being fake, and stories of people with an oil leak and the gauge dropped.

anyone know for sure ?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I know, when I change my oil, the gauge drops back down. I think it's real.

·
Registered
291 Posts
just leave it off, alot of people do cause they break and become annoying

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
my lower one fell off......

I don;t have it anymore...R/T HF cat BABY!!! [woot]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Yeah well I have you beat man...RT Highflow ORP [:D]
It used to be a highflow cat then uh...something happened [eek]

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HaveBlue83 said:
my lower one fell off......

I don;t have it anymore...R/T HF cat BABY!!! [woot]
What? There is 2 of these.?[???:)]

Mine was just over the muffler bend under the motor.
Where is the other one?[:)]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had all my heatshields off for years, no problems even with me racing every week.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Future STV rider said:
What? There is 2 of these.?[???:)]
Yep.

From my drain/fill plug pic:
Note the large fender washers I installed on all the bolts.
Haven't had any rattling or missing heat shields since.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts