Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 focus lx 2.0 sohc Spi engine. Okay so I'm gon do my best to make this a short story.. As of now it seems like everything works fine for the most part even though my electrical is fluctuating. Like idk the instrument panel works it doesn't act crazy it's not a massive fluctuation but you can see a slight flicker and if I turn my headlights on it will dim way down but level back out to the light flicker well I'm gon say fluctuations because flicker would mean actually goin in an out and it don't do that it just fluctuates and does it worse if you use something else.. Anyway somewhat of a rough idle kinda like it's loping and sputtering like a baffled sound and will make the baffled noise even when I Rev it's almost like it's running on 3 cylinders type of sound and before I replaced this alternator to battery wire at full throttle it would rev so far and kinda like hit a rev limiter and cut out for a second and then rev back up and keep doin the same thing as long as I held it to the floor and going down the road it kinda does the same thing if I floor it it will rev but not really pick up speed that fast and if I just keep holding it it will die out then rev back up and die out an rev until I let out the gas and then it will finally shift but has very poor acceleration in general check engine light is flashing Q

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine was that way before the alternator died.

The other issue was the ignition spark controller module.

Other than that and the motor mount which tears up the EGR tube you should be ok if you keep it full of oil and change it regularly. The SOHC engines are hated here, but if have one and take care of it they’re actually pretty reliable until they puke a valve or throw a timing chain.

so check your alternator and wiring and it should be fine

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
They don't have a timing chain...............or an ignition spark controller module either. It is part of the PCM.

OP fix the engine, voltage fluctuation can happen simply from lopsided idle and sounds like you are there. Compression test like said, it never will idle right if part of a valve seat is gone and the engine is well known for doing it.

You only look to alt for trouble with the engine idling smoothly. Testing alt for 'ripple' will show if it is bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They don't have a timing chain...............or an ignition spark controller module either. It is part of the PCM.

OP fix the engine, voltage fluctuation can happen simply from lopsided idle and sounds like you are there. Compression test like said, it never will idle right if part of a valve seat is gone and the engine is well known for doing it.

You only look to alt for trouble with the engine idling smoothly. Testing alt for 'ripple' will show if it is bad.
Sorry I was half asleep. By spark controller, I meant coil or whatever the box that the spark plugs go into. Frankly, I’m ready to shoot mine as it’s going again and I have to replace it again tomorrow.

Alternator is an easy check. A volt meter will tell if it’s charging.
A compression check isn’t hard.

The bottom line is make sure things are all in working order. Check the basics and follow good trouble shooting practices. Of course knowing what the common problems are helps though as they should be looked at closer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I’d definitely check the compression like suggested above. Check grounds and even clean them for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts