Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost a month of research, I'm giving acetone a try in my gas tank. With gas prices pretty solid in the $3.30 range here, I figured it was worth a try. I filled up my tank yesterday with regular 87 octane at an ExxonMobil gas station. My tank holds 14 gallons and it normally takes about 14.1 gallons. I will post my results here and let you know how it all goes.

Has anyone ever tried acetone in their gas? I figured it was pretty safe, as you only add approximately 3oz. for every 10 gallons. That's a 0.0023% concentration. And since I added 3oz. to ~14 gallons, that is a 0.0017% concentration. It was safe enough for me to try. Acetone normally comes in plastic bottles as well, so it gave me enough confidence to give it a try.

Anyway, here it goes:

Day 1:

-Added 3oz to tank and filled with 14 gallons of gas.
-Upon start up, noticed a completely quieter engine, but the idle remained the same.

*It was running so quiet, I actually revved at an intersection to make sure it was still running.
-Drove 70.1 miles yesterday, about 60% city, 40% highway, gauge still reads F, never moved.

So far so good. I'm driving normally. I normally don't drive like a grandma, but I don't have a lead foot either.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Just FYI, the gas gauge isn't a very accurate benchmark on how much is left in the tank other than every 1/4 tank, otherwise it just guesses at how much is remaining. Its not uncommon for me to get 100-120 on the first quarter, then get 80 on the second and so on. If you really want to see what effect it has, start keeping a log on gallons put in, acetone put in and miles you got on the previous tank.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I've heard it's ok BUT I remember reading that it is extremely harmful on the car somewhere, I think there was a thread on this in the past.

Personally I'd never do that but good luck with it....

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is talk of mixing up all kinds of stuff for better MPG on my F150 forums as well. I believe the warning most gave was that a lot of these chemicals will EAT the rubber neck to the fuel tank over time. they said you need to pre-mix the fuel with it so it isn't so concentrated on the way down.

That seems like a MAJOR pita and no way is that going to be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Mythbusters tested this using a dynamometer. Here's the results:

Great Gas Conspiracy

Myth: Automakers and fuel suppliers are in collusion to keep us dependent on expensive gasoline and inefficient cars. There are many devices that one can use to cut your fuel consumption.

They got a carbureted car and a fuel-injected car to test several types of devices. The cars were placed on a dynamometer, which allows the car to drive without moving anywhere.

Test devices and additives:

* Fuel line magnets: working on the "principles of hydrodynamics," they are supposed to align the molecules for more efficient consumption.
* Acetone additive: supposed to make gasoline burn more efficiently
* 300mpg 'super' carburetor
* Hydrogen fuel cell generator: flammable hydrogen gas produced by electrolysis. Adam labeled it "Gasbuster: Stickin' it to the Man"

They tested each car on the dynamometer at 35mph and 55mph with each 'device.'

Carburetor car:

* Baseline: 17mpg at 35mph and 25mpg at 55mph
* Magnets: exactly the same as baseline busted
* Acetone: 16.7mpg at 35mph and 24mpg at 55mph busted
* Super carb: much worse than baseline, 12mpg at 35mph and 17.7mpg at 55mph busted

Fuel-injected car

* Baseline: 19mpg at 35mph and 27mpg at 55mph
* Magnets: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted
* Acetone: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
^ i think that is your answer right there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts