Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered 20 blue, 194, LED's from eBay for a project. I'm going to have four left over. I'm going to remove my instrument cluster and replace the main 194 bulbs with these blue LED's. I checked the back of my original instrument cluster (I switched to one with a tach) and there are only two 194 bulbs illuminating the speedometer, so there should be four illuminating a cluster with a tach. It should change the green gauges to a dark aqua blue, and change the orange needles a purplish color. Anyone else ever tried this?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
That should look pretty cool looking. Post some pics when you do this.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I thought to change the color of the instrument cluster you had to change a film and not the color of the lights? Forgive me if I am wrong though.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Sounds like a good thing to tryout. I have some spare LEDs that I'd like to use if this turns out nice. POST PICS WHEN FINISHED!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought to change the color of the instrument cluster you had to change a film and not the color of the lights? Forgive me if I am wrong though.
The film is green, but mixed with a colored light would make it a different color.

I used this:

http://aleto.ch/webTools/hexCode.html

Click one color, then another to mix them together. The center bar is what they would look like mixed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hey guys... it probably won't work all that well. The lighting might end up brighter in some spots in the gauge and you'll get some muddy looking purple. The needles will probably stay orange because they're orange plastic. You have to get rid of the green coating on the back of the gauge face and even then the lighting will still be uneven. In four words: "get speed-hut gauges" if you want blue.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just trying it to see what happens. I don't expect it to be spectacular.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out keep us posted

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey guys... it probably won't work all that well. The lighting might end up brighter in some spots in the gauge and you'll get some muddy looking purple. The needles will probably stay orange because they're orange plastic. You have to get rid of the green coating on the back of the gauge face and even then the lighting will still be uneven. In four words: "get speed-hut gauges" if you want blue.
The custom speed-hut gauge face is sweet, wish I had known about that before I bought my glow gauges. [?|]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yeah let us know what happens.

I did something similar to my halos. Replaced all 16 of the wedge bulbs with LEDs and the light out put was way less than the standard bulbs. So it may not be as bright, but it might give you that shade of color you're going for.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah let us know what happens.

I did something similar to my halos. Replaced all 16 of the wedge bulbs with LEDs and the light out put was way less than the standard bulbs. So it may not be as bright, but it might give you that shade of color you're going for.
Dammit... that's what I was doing with the other 16 LED's.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bust.

I put the LED's in, and they were so dim (the transfer of light, not the LED's themselves) I could barely see anything. The little bit I did see had no color change at all. Oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts