·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think so... not going to happen!

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Wow. That's your source ? A post on another forum ? Come on. Please tell me you had tongue-in-cheek on that one.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I found this article on the Automotive News website.
There's just a little blurb about the Focus maybe getting a turbo in 2005.

It's highlighted in bold for those who want to skip reading the bullsh*t.

Ford strives to give SVT models upscale image

By Rick Kranz
Automotive News / December 08, 2003

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will take its SVT high-performance brand upscale and drop the SVT Focus.

The demise of the SVT Focus is part of Ford Motor's revision of its performance strategy. The company will create a performance series for the Ford brand and likely will add a high-performance Lincoln SUV and a supercharged Mercury sedan.

"I want to see product and performance across the range," said Phil Martens, group vice president of product creation for North America, at a press event here last month.

SVT stands for Special Vehicle Team.

The Ford Performance Group, formed in September 2002, is directing the strategy. The group develops performance vehicles and handles performance parts and services for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.

Martens said the group will concentrate on three vehicle types beginning in the 2005 model year.

1. High-end vehicles, including the two-passenger 2005 Ford GT and the Ford brand's limited-edition SVT models.

2. Turbocharged and supercharged vehicles.

3. Mainstream performance, including the new ST label for the Ford brand's high-volume performance vehicles below SVT.

With the SVT brand going to a more premium position, the low-end Focus no longer fits. Production of the 2004 SVT Focus will end in the spring. Ford sells about 5,500 SVT Focus models annually.

Moving upmarket

"We are moving SVT upmarket in terms of performance, content, craftsmanship," said Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager. "And obviously, going along with that will be price."

The three-door 2004 SVT Focus has a $19,205 sticker price, including $545 destination. The five-door is $19,705 with destination.

The two other vehicles in the SVT line, the SVT Lightning and the Mustang SVT Cobra, also end production in the spring, leaving dealers with an 18-month gap until new models arrive.

The next-generation SVT Lightning, based on the F-150 pickup, will go into production in late 2005 or early 2006. That will be followed by the next SVT Cobra, which will be based on the redesigned Mustang.

Ford Division is creating high-performance models by using previous-generation SVT engines. For example, the Mustang Mach 1 is equipped with the previous-generation Cobra V-8. The Lightning V-8 also is used in the Harley-Davidson Edition F-150.

John Coletti, director of Ford Special Vehicle Team Programs, wants to do the same thing at Lincoln Mercury.

Coletti said 65 percent of the cost of developing an SVT vehicle is the powertrain - emissions, packaging, hardware and other considerations.

"We are being forced to go up to a much higher level, and what is left behind is a boost for the mainstream products," Coletti said. "It makes sense to trickle that stuff down."

Supercharged Navigator

The Ford Performance Group has developed a 2004 Lincoln Navigator equipped with the supercharged 380-hp SVT Lightning V-8, although no decision has been made on production.

Turbocharging and supercharging also are expected to have a wider role in the automaker's powertrains.

A turbocharged 200-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine soon will be approved for the 2005 or 2006 Focus. If produced, it would be a mass-market engine, available to all Ford dealers. The SVT Focus is available only to qualified SVT dealerships.

A supercharged Mercury Marauder also is under consideration.

With the decision to drop the SVT Focus, Focus owners are being targeted with performance parts and accessories authorized by the Ford Performance Group.

The Ford brand will use the ST designation for a range of high-volume performance vehicles with horsepower and suspension and enhancements. The first Ford to carry that badge will be the 2005 Focus ST, a sedan with a 150-hp, 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine.

Martens said the ST designation will be used where appropriate. The mid-sized Futura sedan, due in 2005, is a likely candidate, possibly with all-wheel drive. He said the Taurus is not a candidate.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
There is the problem, we don't need a slightly tuned focus. We need a monster and unfortunately, if you want a focus to run with an SRT-4 and lead the sport compact pack you will need much more than 200 hp.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
They are "going upscale" with the SVT line so they can justify the estimated $45k price tag of the new Lightning in 2005 and the estimated $40k price tag of the new Cobra. To this means, they are shit canning the SVTF after 2004. Soooo, any turbo charged Focus will most likely just be a Focus, not SVT. This would put it in the realm of the Jetta/Golf 1.8T not the WRX/Evo/SRT. Let the trickling begin! haha

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Also on page 20 of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords of the Feb 04 issue is an article about Spy photos of 3 svt's with the domed vented hood like the 96-98 cobra and there was an intercooler visable through the airdam also an A-pillar pod with a boost gauge.Also had test equipment inside and a full role cage.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
saw the pics, ford uses that hood on alot of their test projects, i know for a fact they had it on one of their hydrogen celled wagons, why they do ill never know, but theres still no telling if those were for sure, but w/ the new mustangs going up in power, that leaves the focus more room to go up befor they are competitors, ohnestly unless it has AWD i dont think theres much point in it, like focal said we need atleast 250hp, hell even more

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I'm a skeptic. All of the other articles we've seen haven't mentioned anything about forced induction. we know there will be no SVTF in '05 so why does it mention the options for an 05 model SVT? I'd like to see it happen in '06 but this article isn't enough to make me a believer.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
That would be cool but I still don't believe it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey i may be wrong ... but isn't there already a turbo focusl.... the RS but there is only one in the US.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
U R correct. The Focus RS is Turbo and only made for overseas.
They just stopped the Focus RS production I think this year.

I think that if people on this forum could afford 30K+ for a car, they would not have bought the Focus.

So, if the Focus turbo does get released, I really can't see a bunch of people on this fourm going out spending 30K+ for a car that won't even keep up with the Subaru WRC or the EVO which cost about the same.

It's a nice dream come true for those who want a Focus with a Turbo and have $30K+ to spend but I think most people on this forum just dream about spending that kind of money on a car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think ford needs to look at what subaru did and follow that lead. I would pay 25k for a turbo focus. I don't care it its awd. All i care is that it can run low 14's with a turbo. Dodge is gonna crush the market with its sub20 thousand compact. Ford needs to get into that market cause they can't make it cost up there with the S2000's, 350z, or such. Even the Cobra is in that range of those cars. So...the awd will cost too much. Just give us the RS and make it cost like 24-25k dollars and People will buy them.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The srt4 is only 20,000 so ford can come close lets say, 22 or 23 and , hey ford if you are watching!!! I WILL buy a xzx5 with 200 h.p plus if if is a blown or turboed car and under 25 grand so there, there is one sale for you...now build it!!!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Ford would need to make a focus that would pace an SRT-4 and outhandle it. It can remain FWD but must be turbo, power must be 240+ and it must run the 1/4 in 14.0

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
focaltech said:
Ford would need to make a focus that would pace an SRT-4 and outhandle it.
Which it's looking more and more like they will never do. Dodge already has the jump, and the more Ford waits, the farther ahead Dodge and others (Saturn Red-Line?!) will get. Seriously, I've never been a huge Neon fan, but the not-a-Neon SRT-4 is looking better these days...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
No company is ever outpaced by another, they simply one up each other.

For example, how long has subaru been making wrx models and mitsubishi been making evos. For a long ass time, only now are models like the STi and Evo available here stateside, why? Well I will tell you. They have been one upping each other, for a long time.

When the SVTF came out, no sport compact could really beat it, look at its competition, Civic SI Sentra SE-R etc, none could match the SVTF total package.

Then along comes the SRT-4 with alot of grunt, why would ford have made a 250 whp focus when its competition was slack like the cars I mentioned. Just happened to be dodge to throw down the guantlet. Now ford needs to step up or leave the focus alone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts