Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, it's been fun. Hit and run driver on the interstate totalled out my ZX5. Hopefully I can get another Focus but right now I have no idea what's going. Some kid in a Buick started pacing me for no apparent reason, and then jumped in front of me in the left lane. I went to move around him to take my exit, and he tried to cut me off but was too late. Slammed straight into the side of my car. His passenger side came off the ground, as did my drivers side. I got off the road, he bolted. It's done. Anyways. Just ranting, I suppose. We will see what happens.

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Thats real nice.......After he was pacing you for a bit, should of let him go or speed up or something.....IDK its a little late of shoulda/coulda.....Hopefully your insurance takes care of you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thats real nice.......After he was pacing you for a bit, should of let him go or speed up or something.....IDK its a little late of shoulda/coulda.....Hopefully your insurance takes care of you.
Yeah hopefully. I did try, he stuck with me the whole way. He got caught behind a car, and that's when I tried to go around to get away from him. He apparently didnt like that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CV axle ripped out of the housing, blown transfer case, lower control arm snapped in half, and an 8 degree bend in the strut assembly. Just from what I could see on the outside.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Its fixably if you wanted to.....A 23,stick out of a '05-'07 st bolts right in...Be easier to shove the whole cradle,engine,trans in one foul scoop....

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I suppose I could. I dont know, I'll just have to wait and see what the insurance says.
Seems like your really into a project like that...Possibly another of the same or a svt, '05-'07 st or a newer model, just make sure its a stick or perhaps a '13+ st......

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
thats the stub of the axle into the transmission. its held in with a spring clip. if you give it a good pop with a pry bar, it should pop out (or you need to remove the passenger axle and push it out from the other side through the differential)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thats the stub of the axle into the transmission. its held in with a spring clip. if you give it a good pop with a pry bar, it should pop out (or you need to remove the passenger axle and push it out from the other side through the differential)
Alright, because everything else looks rather easy to fix. It's already out, the car wreck made sure of that. I'm wanting to know if it can just pop back in or something. When that comes out, is it normal for transmission fluid to drain out??

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Yea it should pop back in & yea a little trans fluid will come out. I'd change out the seal, Looking at it will tell.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the last 2 days have literally been a roller coaster. Turns out that me deciding to keep the car means my insurance still pays it off, I just have to get a savage title. The CV Axle spinning around loose actually ripped a hole in the transmission housing. Shop quoted $3200 to repair all the mechanical damage. We couldn't see the full extent of the damage until it got lifted. Cracked transmission housing, twisted subframe, bent struts, snapped control arm, snapped end links, bent CV axle. However, I recieved a call today from some people in my family. They basically said, we know how much that car means to you, we will pay the repair costs. I'll be making the payments to them, but talk about being utterly mind blown and indescribably grateful.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I wish you luck. If it was me I would cut my losses that's the amount of money my brother paid for his ZX3 that had a salvage title that was fully repaired, brand new paint job, tires Etc. It had a 120K when he got it, now at 230K. 2005 got in 2012. I've been down that road before with an attached car put over 2 grand in parts did the work myself and blew the engine 6 months later. I do truly wish you luck and hope it works out for you but it's just a car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sucks that it will have a salvage title. I went through this with my wife's Mazda 5 in December. Geico adjuster said they don't do salvage titles but if I wanted it they would give me 79% of the car's value to do the repairs but no more (80+% and its considered totaled). If I didn't want to keep it they would give me 100%.

I don't know if that's a Geico thing or just that particular adjuster cutting me a break but I decided to keep it and get it repaired and I would pay the difference. It ended up working out in my favor. Cost $6000 in repairs and Geico gave me $5700 to repair it. I didn't have to pay a deductible because I was not found to be at fault. Repair costs would have been higher but I got the shop to use all aftermarket or used parts.

So in all it was only $300 out of pocket. Would have cost me 2-3 grand more to get a comparable vehicle mileage and age wise. Carfax will show an accident but it still has a clear (non-salvage) title. Don't think I would have repaired it otherwise.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish you luck. If it was me I would cut my losses. I do truly wish you luck and hope it works out for you but it's just a car.
I totally get that, and that's actually what j was originally going to do. A few things though, this particular Focus has less than 150k on it, and its FULLY loaded. Sunroof, Ford body kit, Sony sound system, heated leather, the whole shebang. Insurance is paying the car off, so instead of paying the car payments, I'll be making the repair payments. As far as the damaged body panels go, I was planning on replacing the hood and headlights anyways, and getting it repainted. As a result, all in all, I'm not spending any more money than I would have originally. Not to mention the fact that with my credit still being in a state of repair, the likelihood of me being able to get a different car is dubious at best.

Sucks that it will have a salvage title.
Well it turns out that since the car is over 7 years old, a salvage title is not required. Also, if it did need it, it wouldn't matter since I'm going to be the last owner this car has. I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, and when that happens I'll see about parting it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts