Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work today, normal driving no big deal I suddenly heard a noise like a rock came off my tires or from a passing car and it sounded like it hit the rear door. Next thing I know the rear window falls down. So something inside the door broke! I just replaced the other side last year it also broke but it was from when my wife was baby sitting and the kid was hanging on the window while she moved it up and down.[nono] I had to pay almost 200 bucks to have the inerds replaced. So is this a common thing for the window to just fall. I haven't been able to look at it yet, but I kinda think something vibrated loose ( cause for the metallic "rock" noise) and the window fell then. I hope I can just put what ever it is back on and not half to pay 200 bucks again. I'll get to first thing tomarrow in the day light due to my ranger is taking up my garage space right now. I'll half to post some pics.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah it can happen. sounds like the cable gave out, lost its tension and dropped the window. So without looking at it you will probably need a regulator

If it doesnt concern you too much right now, remove the door panel, get a piece of wood, pull up the window and screw in the piece of wood to the INSIDE part of the door so it stays solid and keeps the window up(dont think I have to say it but we dont want screws going through the door skin so use the part of the door closest to you).

sounds terrible I know but you cant tell its there with the panel back on, the window stays up, and its reversible when you want to fix it. I do this once in awhile when a customer cant or doesnt want to fix the window.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to just use a small set of vise grips to put just under the window on the track to hold it up that's what I did last time. lol I got a air freshener wedged in the weather strip to hold it up till morning just in case in rains or something. Is there a write up for how to remove the window? I could replace the regulator my self (if need be) but the last time it I could figure out how to take the window off the white plastic guide that holds the window on track.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
eh whatever works lol. I obviously cant do either because one means I lose a pair of vice grips and the other is just terrible. At least the way I suggested means I only lose wood.

[:p] haha.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh whatever works lol. I obviously cant do either because one means I lose a pair of vice grips and the other is just terrible. At least the way I suggested means I only lose wood.

[:p] haha.
lol I've got several pair I buy in bulk. My absolute favorite tool next to wd-40. So many uses.

Exhibit A: Fix for broken can opener.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I took it apart today, took a boat load of pics so I can do a write up for it. When I get home i'll post'em up. It appers the cable is fine but plastic clip that holds the end of the cable snapped off. It's the cable that runs up over the top pulley. It also broke one of the small tabs off the plastic slider thing the window rides on. I may be able to get away with not fixing that but now I need to search for a replacement clip. If I knew the correct part number I could ask a dealership but I may end up running to a junk yard.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
My passenger side window(power windows) just dropped one day. Popped panel and wired it up in place nice and tight. Temp til I get around to fixing it. Dealer wants about $400+ to fix it but I got a friend who'll be able to help me with it so I only need to get the new parts. Can't wait to see the write up.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here's a few photos. I took lots but i'll save'em for the complete write up. Here you can see the broken pieces I found in the bottom of the door.

The half round one came off the window slider. The other holds the cable tight over the pulley.

Here's the broken slider. the loose cable you can see below.

My temp fix for now till I can get some parts.

The recessed area in the back window makes a great shelve for parts, tools and bolts.

while I had the tools out I put this in too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this is a common problem... i bought my car with both driver side windows down... ive replaced the front driver side, but its broke again, and both rear doors are out of commision... unfortunatly i may have to get new regulators and motors for all 3 doors...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regulator replacement not too bad.

I pretty much became a pro at replacing window regulators because of my wife's Grand Prix (POS). I replaced all the window regulators at least once and the driver side 3 times, once so quickly I was able to return the part for a 90 day refund.

Anyway, whatever you do DO NOT remove the window if you can help it, they are a pain to get lined up again in the track. I used blue painters tape and cardboard wedges to hold up the windows while I replaced the regulator. When you put the new regulator back in, do not tighten the bolts all the way. You need some slack to line up the regulator with the window.

Edit:
Autopartswarehouse.com and Rockauto.com seem to have the best prices I have seen for parts like these. Get Dorman if you can, fit and finish are really nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts