Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No.
The Focus is a 6 wire and the EEC-IV is a 4 wire.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What are you trying to do?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
You can change the size of the MAF but you will have to tune for it , unless you change a lot of other things changing the MAF tube size wont do you any good

You need to start you build with a SVT header , tune , 2.5 Exh , TB and work from there

Tom

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
So if I get a 3 inch MAF tube do I have to get a different MAF? Or does tuning resolve the larger MAF tube?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can change the size of the MAF but you will have to tune for it , unless you change a lot of other things changing the MAF tube size wont do you any good

You need to start you build with a SVT header , tune , 2.5 Exh , TB and work from there

Tom
COMING SOON!!! Tom... Very soon you will receive a call from me from cleveland oh

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
I have all the other stuff. Only 2.25 Bosal exhaust, still better than stock. I do have a 65mm FC red TB. I'm not putting it on just yet. Will be getting a Y2K I'M with the 3" MAF tube in a few weeks.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
There are a few tubes that are available. The MAF is one of the last restrictive items on the motor that usually its only benefits of a larger tube is when you are matching it to the charge piping from a FI set up. At that point you have enough air flowing that you also need the Diablo MAF.

Please correct me if I am wrong but you will be in the noise (no measurable gain) by going with a larger tube on a light to medium NA modified motor.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
As a general rule, a large MAF tube is only used to increase the upper resolution of the MAF.
IIRC the stock MAF tops out around 20 #/min, or about 200 HP.

When you go larger you 'sample' less percentage of the air and that allows you to get more air before the MAF taps out.
Problem with a larger MAF is you do loose resolution on the low end. The air is moving slower and accuracy can suffer some. But a good tuner can move things around to get it to work well in the most common areas you'll drive in. There's actually quite a bit a tuner can change to make it work very well and accurate, if they want to spend the time.

In a nutshell, unless you go boost,,, you won't need a larger one.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
If you really want a larger one just go with a stock SVT MAF and the stock SVT injectors. The SVT injectors are matched to the MAF and will work untuned. The SVT MAF is 69mm a 70mm MAF is 3". So you could do a stock upgrade and keep it untuned but really it would be a mute point since you would really need supporting mods as just upgrading the MAF will do nothing. No point in getting more air in if you can't get it out and you'll get more power from the SVT header than most other mods.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Actually you cannot do that change untuned , altho the injectors do match the MAF electronics/ MAF tube size the fueling in the stock tunes between the SVT and the Zetec are not the same and fueling would be off

Tom

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
Interestingggggggg.......................................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts