Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
my a/c has just stopped . Of course the warranty just expired......Anyway, I've checked the fuses and connections. All are good. I've attempted to recharge the system but the compressor isn't working. It did kick in for about 2 seconds but then quit.....Help!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you getting power at the compressor? If not then there are a couple things that could be happening. The A/C system could have a leak and the pressures have dropped below the minimum threshold measured by the pressure sensor. This sensor protects the compressor from damage caused by lack of lubrication (supplied by the movement of refrigerant) when at low pressure or potential explosions at high pressure. The other thing that could happen is that your pressure sensor(s) itself has failed. This also cuts the power to the compressor.

The A/C system is normally sealed and does not require more A/C refrigerant added. If you determine the system is low then you need to find the leak and fix it before dealing with refrigerant. Did you check the pressures before adding refrigerant, while adding (at appropriate RPM's) and after? If you add refrigerant there is a possibility of overcharging the system and this will cause pressures to be too high which is risky. It will also cause power to be cut at the compressor.

Use a ultraviolet light to look for A/C refrigerant dye resulting from a leak. Pay particular attention to connections as the seals tend to fail over time. If there are no signs of a leak then try bypassing the pressure sensor momentarily to see if the compressor engages. Testing the pressure sensor itself can be done too.

There's lots of videos on YouTube for diagnosing auto A/C systems; watch them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts