Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my Focus is just over 4 months old now. I have about 4800 miles on it and I'm starting to have some issues with starting. When I turn the key in the ignition absolutely nothing happens. I can either let up and try again and after a few times it will start, or like this morning I just held until it actually turned over. I think this means my alternator is going out. Any ideas or suggestions? I think I am gonna take my car to the dealer this afternoon. I mean it should be all under warranty should it not? Thanks in advance.[?|]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. Just figured I would ask if anyone else was having any similar issues. Maybe there was an easy fix?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm a little big foggy on what you mean by "nothing happens"? When you turn it to run does the car power up? IS your car a manual or automatic. There are a number of reasons why this could be happening, your best bet is to take it in and have it looked at.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey guys my Focus is just over 4 months old now. I have about 4800 miles on it and I'm starting to have some issues with starting. When I turn the key in the ignition absolutely nothing happens. I can either let up and try again and after a few times it will start, or like this morning I just held until it actually turned over. I think this means my alternator is going out. Any ideas or suggestions? I think I am gonna take my car to the dealer this afternoon. I mean it should be all under warranty should it not? Thanks in advance.[?|]
from what you're describing, i can think of 1 of 3 things that could be fouled up:

1. you turn the key and NOTHING happens. no noise, not hearing it crank. NOTHING. if this is what's happening, take a look at your starter.

2. you turn the key and you hear rapid clicking, but nothing else. take a look at your battery, it could be dead / dying. this could lead to #3 below:

3. you turn the key, FINALLY get it to crank, and the car runs. check the voltage on the battery, if it's low... it's your alternator.

hope this helps. [cheers]

edit:

and yes, these SHOULD be covered in under the insurance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if I was vague, the electronics start up but the car doesn't start. It is an automatic. Thanks for all the help guys. I will let you know if the dealer finds anything weird.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Sounds like an ignition switch issue. Mine sometimes seems to hesitate for a second sometimes. With our cars you don't have to hold the key in the start position for it to start. You just have to turn it to the start position and let it go and it will start by itself.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like an ignition switch issue. Mine sometimes seems to hesitate for a second sometimes. With our cars you don't have to hold the key in the start position for it to start. You just have to turn it to the start position and let it go and it will start by itself.
i have push to start [:p], i don't have knowledge of how the key start foci work. [histerical]

thanks for that heads up though, and good luck op! [cheers]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, I noticed that about the key. It's also getting significantly colder here recently and I don't know if maybe that would have something to do with it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry if I was vague, the electronics start up but the car doesn't start. It is an automatic. Thanks for all the help guys. I will let you know if the dealer finds anything weird.
If when you turn to key to start it doesn't crank, and you don't hear a clicking I'm going to speculate that it's something ignition related. I can't really get any more spacific than that without troubleshooting. It's deffenetly worth a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This TSB also covers hard/no starting:

TSB
11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It can also be something like a gear position sensor (autos won't start when in gear) etc etc best to bring it in yes this is what a warranty is for!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts