Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I don't have a lot of knowledge in mechanics. But recently my 2005 focus ZX5 (manual) is having some vibration and some clicketic noise coming from the engine. While driving everything seems fine but once i put it on neutral the vibration starts and is very noticeable... (the mirrors are shaking...) I don't know if its related but also the car seems to have problem to start some times. It happens maybe at one start on 10. The only way to make it stars is reving it at high RPM while turning the key. Anyone know what it could be???
Thanks !!!

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
The vibration could be:

TSB 11-3-24

03/31/11

ENGINE VIBRATION AT IDLE

FORD:
2000-2011 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 10-5-11 to remove the production fix date and update the model years.

ISSUE
Some 2000-2011 Focus vehicles may exhibit an excessive engine vibration at idle, most noticeable when the transmission is engaged in reverse. This condition may be caused by small stones, road debris, ice or snow packed/lodged in the rear engine roll restrictor.

ACTION
Inspect the rear engine roll restrictor for debris and install service shield if necessary.

The no start could be:

TSB 05-9-16

05/16/05

LONG CRANK/HARD START - 2.0L AND 2.3L ENGINE
WITH MTX-75 TRANSAXLE

FORD:
2005 Focus

ISSUE
Some 2005 Focus vehicles equipped with MTX-75 manual transaxles, may exhibit a long crank or hard start condition with no malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present.

ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest level using WDS release B36.12 and higher or B37.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! You helped me a lot with the no start problem. Last time they couldnt figure out what was causing it... Ill show this to them this time. For the engine vibratio i doubt thats what causing it tough... Since theres no noticeable vibration while the tranny is engage neither as in reverse. Its only on neutral. And sometimes its seems to get better while the engine is getting hot but still noticeable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
my mirrors vibrate at an idle as well.. not really sure if its bad enough to start replacing mounts. raise it up a couple hundred rpms and it goes away.. im actually used to it now lol..

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks!! You helped me a lot with the no start problem. Last time they couldnt figure out what was causing it... Ill show this to them this time. For the engine vibratio i doubt thats what causing it tough... Since theres no noticeable vibration while the tranny is engage neither as in reverse. Its only on neutral. And sometimes its seems to get better while the engine is getting hot but still noticeable.
Hello Mrclavet2,

Your dealer is in the best position to determine why your engine is vibrating. I hope they are able to resolve it to your satisfaction. Please let me know if I can assist. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Shaking at idle- so long as the idle is at the proper rpm and not low- is most likely due to bad motor mounts. I always recommend replacing all 3 if you're doing it yourself, or paying someone. You might be in for sticker shock if you're paying someone to do it.

There are 3 mounts. The front engine mount, the lower torque-strut mount (called dog bone mount by some), and the transmission mount. The dealer is the only place to get the front mount. For some reason, aftermarket manufacturers haven't figured out how to make that fluid filled mount so that it will last, so get that one from the dealer. We might be able to help you out with dealer cost because we have some dealers that work with us. The other 2 mounts you can purchase from an aftermarket supplier. Rock Auto, who also works with us to provide a 5% discount, has the lowest prices for these mounts that I've found anywhere. Compared to the national chain store price, you can purchase all 3 mounts from Rock Auto for the same price. Like I said, though, you don't want to get the Anchor (only aftermarket maker of OEM style) mount.

The reason we advise people to replace all 3 is because usually if one is bad, then it causes the others to go bad, then when you replace the worst offender it puts strain on the mostly bad mounts, and makes those go bad as well. You'd spend all this money to replace one mount, and end up with the same problem in a short time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts