Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my spark plugs, as I do every few oil changes (reg plugs), and two of my coil connectors didn't clip closed. I had to flip the tab up to hold it in place myself. I found this out because I always double check things- and these two pulled right off.

This makes me wonder how long these clips will last. I hope it was just because it was cold outside.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
havent had that issue, but you can try filling the plug with dialectric grease. it'll help keep moisture out and will help the plug stay in there.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yeah I have that problem with one of mine. Happened right after my wire tuck. Can't remember exactly why (there was a reason) but it has been ok since. It just doesn't click anymore....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just wondering why you remove the clips to change the plugs. I just pull them out connected and put them to the side.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Just wondering why you remove the clips to change the plugs. I just pull them out connected and put them to the side.
Same here. No need to unclip them.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wires are zip tied close by so that I can't even remove the coil if I didn't unplug it. I could use that method if I cut the offending ties. It's really not a big deal, and I already have grease in the connectors. Ever since my Ranger electrical nightmares with the bulkhead connector I've been fanatical about greasing electrical connectors that I remove. When I wired the hot for my stereo, I greased the pins on the bulkhead connector before I put it back in.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You have the plug wires zipped to each other - take them all out at the same time... but I guess you would have already thought of that...

Okay, what are "red plugs"???

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
So I know this post is old, but I just had the problem except the clip actually broke off. So the wires will not stay. Searching for a fix.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
dialectric grease will help the plug stick in... i broke the clip on my d/s headlight plug, and used dialectric grease, and it works great.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Thanks honhon. I found a temp fix. The area the 'clip' normally occupied is somewhat tall. So I used a squishy rubber donut in that space which provides enough tension to keep the plug in place. Not exactly 'top drawer' but good enough for now. All I can say about the clip is 'Designed to Fail'. It wasn't even that cold outside. I will see what I can come up with as far as a permanent fix.

(Took another hard look at it)
OK! I have seen this before somewhere. Instead of a plastic clip there was a spring steel "S" or "Z" that slid in and held the plug.

Attachments

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Im going to bump this because it's very related to what happened to me today..

Was doing oil and plug change and it mightve been a bit cold in the garage. Two of my coil plugs werent clicking so I moved the tab a little and it snapped off both times.

I have a high tech ziptie on each holding the plug in. I might grease them but Id really like to find a way to fix them.

Are these replaceable? does the plug come apart? Part of me has a feeling thats that unless I want a new harness but if thats the case I'll ghetto rig it for now and go crazy later with a wire tuck.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Buickboy >> I will tell you how to get by ( I had one break on me over a year ago).
You need to get these at Radio Shack.
"Assorted Grommets (31-Pack)
Model:
64-3025
| Catalog #: 64-3025
$1.99"

Pick one that is slightly larger than the inside of the COP where the plug goes. Begin to insert the plug, but squeeze the grommet in on the top where the clip would have gone (there very squishy grommets so this should not be difficult). The grommet will hold the plug via friction, will not work it's way out and they seem to stay squishy (As stated, mine is 2 years old now and no issues). It's also almost invisible.
Hope that helps!

P.S. Mine also broke as it was to cold.
P.S.S. Well, as I have had it in place since ~12-25-2008, I guess it could be considered permanent?

Reactions: Buickboy

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Buickboy >> I will tell you how to get by ( I had one break on me over a year ago).
You need to get these at Radio Shack.
"Assorted Grommets (31-Pack)
Model:
64-3025
| Catalog #: 64-3025
$1.99"

Pick one that is slightly larger than the inside of the COP where the plug goes. Begin to insert the plug, but squeeze the grommet in on the top where the clip would have gone (there very squishy grommets so this should not be difficult). The grommet will hold the plug via friction, will not work it's way out and they seem to stay squishy (As stated, mine is 2 years old now and no issues). It's also almost invisible.
Hope that helps!

P.S. Mine also broke as it was to cold.
P.S.S. Well, as I have had it in place since ~12-25-2008, I guess it could be considered permanent?
Very nice, thanks! [cheers]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts