Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday i went to start my car in the -20 degree weather not expecting really that it would start because of the temp. so i turned the key it cranked slow and then i just got a sort of hum sound like the starter was just spinning and not turning over the car. i let go of the key and tried again and got the spinning sound. i thought w/e its cold i'll just start it when it warms up. I go outside like 15 min ago because its much warmer outside (a temp that it would usually start no problem) and i get just the spinning sound! no cranking just, what i think it sounds to be, the spin of the starter. Can someone help me out/tell me whats up? What do i do?

·
Registered
137 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, thats why they made the cold weather package!!! I lived in Grand Forks for 5 years, and my SVT wouldn't have made it without the block heater.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
What's happening....the starter motor is getting 12V and spinning, but the starter solenoid is not engaging the engine.

A weak battery (perhaps due to the cold) can sometimes be the cause. If the starter does the same thing with a jumper battery attached, you probably need a new starter. That starter might work just fine in warmer weather.

Time to spend money I guess.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, thats why they made the cold weather package!!! I lived in Grand Forks for 5 years, and my SVT wouldn't have made it without the block heater.

haha yea dude im in forks now @ UND and its wicked cold here.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts