Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a good deal on a set of four 17" Motegi FF5 rims with 205/40/r17 tires.

Like a... GOOD DEAL.

But if I do get these, I won't have any other tires to put on in the winter or anything. These would be my only ones.

Should I get em?
PS: I live in Wisconsin, so I do drive in the snow...

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can always get 17" snow tires later. I have some on my Mazda3 right now (Hankook Icebears) in 205/50R17.

What tires are on them now? Look at Tire Rack and see how they rate in the snow. Keep in mind that HiPerf tires rarely do well in snow.

Those are some SEXXAY wheels.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what kind of tires they are. I'm just worried about that size. Is it too small?
Basically, i'll be trading in my stock wheels and tires that I have on right now, and he will give me those. I'm not sure what kind of tires on on them, I only know the size. So you think I should do it?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Forgetting size for a moment, its important to find out what kind of tires they are. If they're summer tires, its highly unlikely they'll get you through the winter. In fact, they could be down right dangerous and unsafe to use! That said, the tire size is a tad small. On 17x7" inch wheels 205/45-17 is perfect but there's less selection in this size. 215/45-17 is the most common size (lots of selection and a little bit cheaper) but there's a number of people who use 215/40-17 as well. The main thing about the 205/40-17 is to make sure its approved for use with the WIDTH of the wheel (which you didn't specify) as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would NOT run that size through the winter. Even in the summer you have to constantly think about holes in the road. Keep your stock wheels and when the tires are shot but snow tires for them, and then think about a 17" summer package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts