Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a somewhat stupid question with a follow up one:

1)
I was looking for the EGR valve around the throttle body like the other Focus' and figured that it was on the other side of the car near the right strut tower. I looked at Haynes Manual, The 2004 Factory Manual, and trolled online for the answer: No pics I could identify with my car. The ones in the pictures I'd figure should be it. Since there are 2 lines that lead to the throttle body and 1 that goes under the car I'd figure to the exhaust. Or is this the solenoid? The Factory Manual directions show the saucer disk visible before dismantling the air box near the throttle body but I can't seem to find it.

2)
How to replace it? It seems shrouded by the plastic lids and covers.

I'm trying to chase down a slight hesitation at idle and worked my way from the PCV to the EGR system. I'm still looking for other vacuum leaks. If you've got hints that would be appreciated. Thanks.

If anyone could help me find it and may be post a pic of their SVT with it or an explanation on my stupidity that would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The first two pics are the charcoal canister. The other one is the IMRC I believe.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
SVT has no EGR valve.
That's the EVAP solenoid/valve for venting gas tank fumes in the pics.
Charcoal canister is behind the fuel tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. So the 2 lines coming from the EVAP Solenoid/valve into the throttle body area are to vent the gas tank fumes into the intake I guess? I skimmed the description. So it has charcoal inside?

What does the SVT have in its place if it has no EGR valve?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
btw, in pic 2 that vacuum fitting to the solenoid appears non-stock. If you're looking for a vacuum leak, check the fitting for a proper seal. (Looks like a piece of gas line tube has been substituted.)
Should be:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
SVT has no EGR valve.
That's the EVAP solenoid/valve for venting gas tank fumes in the pics.
Charcoal canister is behind the fuel tank.
He is correct. Check the plastic vacuum lines, at this age they just get brittle. Also the rubber hose from the PVC crossover pipe to intake manifold likes to collapse. No check engine light.???

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
So it has charcoal inside?
No. It's an empty plastic chamber/plenum. I've pulled one apart. Not much to see inside other than a spring and diaphragm. And it's non-serviceable; meaning you'll likely break all the plastic tabs by separating the two halves.

What does the SVT have in its place if it has no EGR valve?
The fancy variable cam timing takes care of emissions that would otherwise be addressed with the EGR system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is correct. Check the plastic vacuum lines, at this age they just get brittle. Also the rubber hose from the PVC crossover pipe to intake manifold likes to collapse. No check engine light.???
I started noticing this slight hesitation in idle after I got it, which was used. I knew it was in a front end collision prior and I noticed that some of the stuff doesn't look like it was fixed by a pro lets just say. I probably only I got a P0171 Lean code a while ago, but went away. Then I found the PCV hose leak. Replaced that.

Recently, there was a sudden power loss driving on the freeway and a smell entered the cabin. It could barely accelerate. I drove it home carefully. Being a couple miles from my place. Next day, it spit out a P0304 missfire #4 cylinder. I feel dumb not replacing the spark plugs when I got the car. Spark plugs looked nearly identical to each other, but as i was putting them back and taking them out, the #4 spark plug wire broke off onto the plug. Ordered new plugs and wires. Hesitation still slightly apparent, but power seemed same to better.

I replaced the PCV elbow and the valve. It seemed to idle slightly better but hesitation still there. the old PCV could jingle but the bottom of the valve couldn't seat very well.

Had the battery unplugged and replugged, drive around and threw a powertrain malfunction light. At night it didn't seem to accelerate that willingly as before but the owner's manual said that it would dial it to limp mode. Haven't seen it again yet.

I ordered a stethoscope on amazon so I can hear better but it wouldn't arrive till tomorrow. I tried soap but I was making a mess.

Also there's a slight dent on the on the oil separator where the the PCV valve seats and someone used some gray silicone to patch the old grommet to there. I am currently modifying a new ($25 if you can believe) grommet to seat better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. It's an empty plastic chamber/plenum. I've pulled one apart. Not much to see inside other than a spring and diaphragm. And it's non-serviceable; meaning you'll likely break all the plastic tabs by separating the two halves.

The fancy variable cam timing takes care of emissions that would otherwise be addressed with the EGR system.
Oh thanks for the early warning[cheers] Could have made a fool of myself.

Makes me wonder why they didn't update the Factory Manual to reflect some more SVTness. I got the 2004 one because I read the 2004 had more SVT specifics than the 2002. Man it's tough not having the complete picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

btw, in pic 2 that vacuum fitting to the solenoid appears non-stock. If you're looking for a vacuum leak, check the fitting for a proper seal. (Looks like a piece of gas line tube has been substituted.)
Should be:
Thanks. I'll check the top hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I detected some vacuum leaks from the intake manifold gasket with the help of a mechanic. I'll try to replace soon and take some pics. I used the funnel and clear vinyl tubing trick to listen for leaks. Hope this helps others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts