Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have contributed my previous thread, FSWerks CAI Installation Problems. Basically, it was the coupler. I finally received a reducer from Samco and everything fits perfectly.

One reason that I ordered the reducer (besides proper fit) was to track down a "leak." Basically I hear it on initial acceleration and every time the car shifts, sounds very similar to a turbocharger (high pitched whistling). I was wondering if this was normal or not. If it is definitely a leak, where should I look first? I looked over the whole system, but I cannot seem to find the source. Is there anything I could do to make the leak show itself, for example spraying soapy water on a tire to find a leak? If it is sucking air in, then it would probably be a little difficult to trace it.

My next "is this normal" question is about turning off the car. Sometimes, not always, the intake makes a "farting" noise when I shut off the car. I am just guessing, but it is like the car blows air out through the intake when it shuts off or something. Does anyone know what can cause this? It has happened maybe four or five times since I put the intake on in June.

Side question:
Would it be worth it to buy a header and programmer from FSWerks if I am going to be selling the car maybe a year after I pay it off (around 2016-17)? Just wondering if it will be a worthwhile investment or if I should skip it.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
How many miles are on the car?

A whistling/farting noise per say after shutoff has been attributed to a bad PCV hose located under the intake manifold on many higher mileage cars. However its also normal to hear a slight shhhh sound after shutoff as the compression escapes the last cylinder that was on its compression stroke, either by the rings or through a cracked exhaust/intake valve. A sound clip would help.

As far as the whistle sound while driving, its normal with your CAI. I have the same one and always get a slightly whistle at partial throttle.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
And buying car mods should never be called an investment in anything but your enjoyment. You will never get the money out of it that you put into it. Ever.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car has around 25,000 miles on it. I can't really get a sound clip because it is so sporadic. I'm glad to hear the whistling is normal, but I really hate it. It sounds like my car is turbocharged, but it really isn't :(. How about a surge of power, will that happen? If I am accelerating to get onto the highway and I hit a certain rpm range a certain way, it will pause for a millisecond and then surge ahead. I am really not trying to do this, it makes me look like a stupid little kid. I noticed my 2004 F150 would do the same thing, but only up a hill and not as much as my car does. I was looking at some TSBs for my car yesterday and there was one talking about a brake over acceleration control or something like that, one of the symptoms was a power surge.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Whistle is cause by the throttle plate at part throttle. Its normal and not bad, actually is one of the better sounds the motor makes.

The "fart" is most likely the IAC valve closing at shut down. Mine makes a loud suction/thump if I turn the car off and then turn the key back real fast. Also probably normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whistle is cause by the throttle plate at part throttle. Its normal and not bad, actually is one of the better sounds the motor makes.

The "fart" is most likely the IAC valve closing at shut down. Mine makes a loud suction/thump if I turn the car off and then turn the key back real fast. Also probably normal and nothing to worry about.
Okay, thanks. My sound is similar to a suction/thump also, but at the end it is kind of a "fart." I guess I will have to live with the whistle. I will never have enough money to boost my car so I will just pretend I'm spooling up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts