Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem for a long time now. I would say from 25k. Right now I have 45k miles.
I installed volt gauge, that is why I'm thinking this might not be normal.
The problem:
When I come to a stop, red light for example. Sometimes (often) car starts to sort of bogs down, voltage drops to ~13V and then it recovers and everything is back to normal.
It doesn't occur right after I stop. I could be stopped for 30 sec and then it happens.
Does anybody experience anything like that?

While driving everything is fine. Only when idling this happens.

Any response/ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
MY car does the very same thing, I always just ignored it but I would like to know as well.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
is your defroster on (it kicks on the a/c compressor..)

only reason im askin it that i think every car does what your sayin when the a/c compressor kicks on..

·
Registered
403 Posts
mine does this also, i think it is normal, and i have had my alternator replaced too and nothing changed

·
Registered
471 Posts
Same thing boys... Lights dim if they are turned on (interior/dome). I was thingking alternator as well but seems like someone already tried replacing it with no luck. :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
my old car used to do the same, especially when the A/C compressor kicked on. it was a (very) dirty throttle body.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A/C is off, defroster is off, everything is off lol...except the engine. Very strange.
I was also ignoring it, but when I saw that voltage drops I started wondering if there is an electrical issue of some kind.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Boys, we have to get down to this. I've been doing research for awhile but i don't want to throw parts at it. A lot of having the same problem. Is it something we have to live with or what ?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Maybe the the fan kicked on and caused it to bog for a second.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No... this happens regularly. It's not the fun. This happens when an electrical load is introduced or i guess any load. Braking, heater, high beams, a/c. So if you are just in Park idling and you press the brake pedal the dome light will dim with voltage dropping and going back up.
I was pretty sure it's the alternator, but as someone mentioned they have tried replacing it with no results.

·
Registered
324 Posts
check your grounds... give all three a good clean... make sure its a metal to metal connection.. or maybe do the big three upgrade. if its not the alternator.. could your battery have like one dead cell? i donno, just playing with ideas here lol

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
A few things to try.... reset the ECU, clean the MAF sensor and clean the IACV

Whats happening is when you come to a stop the ECU is letting the rpms drop too much before it catches the idle... I've seen it a hundred times.

You may also try complaining to the dealer, there maybe a new ECU flash out to fix it.... Ford usually releases several flashes for their vehicals trying to get everything right.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did the big 3. ECU was reset many times before with no luck, as well as cleaning the MAF and IACV. :))
It's happens not only when coming to a stop. Just during the idle. I can be in park or Drive, but i think it's a bit worse it Drive. The thing is that the vibration has a pattern. It's not a through out vibration all the time.

It's like bbbbb-------bbbbbbbb------bbbbbbb---- XD (nice diagram)

Bbbb is the vibration and the second it vibrates the dome light flickers and goes back to normal with vibration gone and then it happens again. Seems like a cycle.The time gap between vibrations can be 2-4 seconds.

It doesn't happen while driving, that is why i was suspecting alternator before.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly^^
It is idling normally then out of nowhere starts to hesitate for 2 sec and then back to normal.
Also the thing is this is not when coming to a stop, this is when you sit for some time at a red light.
It seems to be doing this only when car is fully warmed up. After the cold start it doesn't do it until warm.
I also cleaned TB, MAF, changed spark plugs, reset ECU, updated my ECU about 4 month ago.

The thing about going to the dealer is #1 It might not do it there. 2. they say it "feels normal".

·
Registered
324 Posts
hmm interesting... im stumped lool! ive noticed something like that with mine... but nowhere near as severe... at idle occasionally id feel the car bog for 1 second and then itll recover...

·
Registered
524 Posts
orenge svt hit it rite on the head check thoes things and your battery conections

1 - 20 of 69 Posts