Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to seafoam my car but I also want to be extra careful so I have a question is this the hose I should pour the seafoam in?

[Picture below]

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
NO! You should absolutely not pour any seafoam into that hose. Thats the breather off the valve cover and any seafoam poured into that hose will be poured into the valve cover with your oil and eventually end up in the oil pan. If you want to use seafoam, search on here for a picture of the brake booster line, or use a vacuum source off the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Pull the line off the brake booster and it'll suck it in there. Post number 2 is wrong concerning where to add the seafoam, but is right on if that is the PVC hose.

With that line pictured, you're just mixing it in with the oil.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Post number 2 is wrong concerning where to add the seafoam, but is right on if that is the PVC hose.
How is my post wrong? I answered the guy's question didn't I? He asked if that was his PCV hose and I answered "Yes that is it." Look at the title of this thread...

I never said anything in my post about adding seafoam there. I wouldn't even know where to di it myself so I wouldn't tell him either...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You may have answered the question of "is this the PCV hose" but it did lead to the wrong answer of the overall question.

so ..

1) Yes that is the PCV hose
2) No thats not where you want to put the seafoam in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that was the right hose so i poured it into that hose

what will happen now? will it destroy my car?

·
Registered
324 Posts
NOOOO! THAT IS NOT THE PCV HOSE!! AND NO YOU SHOULD NOT PUT SEAFOAM IN THAT HOSE! that is what Svtzx555 is saying.. and this is true!! that hose pictured is the valve cover breather hose... the PCV hose is at the back of the intake manifold and no you should not even put seafoam in that hose... you use the brake booster line...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help

NOOOO! THAT IS NOT THE PCV HOSE!! AND NO YOU SHOULD NOT PUT SEAFOAM IN THAT HOSE! that is what Svtzx555 is saying.. and this is true!! that hose pictured is the valve cover breather hose... the PCV hose is at the back of the intake manifold and no you should not even put seafoam in that hose... you use the brake booster line...
Can you please answer my 2nd question above your post.
Thank you.

I put it in that hose because the first poster said to do so and I had to get moving because i had to get things done

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> How is my post wrong? I answered the guy's question didn't I?

The body of the message you responded to said "I have a question is this the hose I should pour the seafoam in?"

So he had two questions. A single answer of "Yes that is it," when two questions are asked might be a bit ambiguous.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
If you poured a whole can of seafoam in the valve breather hose you should change your oil Phil.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
NOt a great idea to put Seafoam into that hose; however, the manufacturers of Seafoam actually do recommend using it in engine oil in the amount of 1/3 to 1/2 pint, albeit poured into the crankcase to mix, rather than into the engine directly.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

While it never hurts to change the oil after sonething like this, it would appear that if you only put 1/2 a pint in, whatever damage it might have done is now past news, and it being in the oil is unlikely to hurt anything more.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Actually that IS the PCV hose.... our Foci have 2 of them.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
I seafoamed my car last spring....best thing I ever done, cleared up my gas mileage problems. Anyway, like others said I wouldn't put it in that hose, you can put it into your crankcase to mix with the oil but it probably isnt needed as long as your maintaining proper oil changes. Get a can or two, put some into the break booster vaccum lines, your break booster is the round black thing located on the fire wall infront of the passanger seat. Then throw some into your fuel tank. Obviously check for a vacuum on the lines first. After you do it and theres no CEL warning, you should make sure your intake is clean and also it would be a good idea to replace your fuel filter after you go through that tank of gas. This is really a two man job, get someone to help you out or someone who has done it before....you do have potential of ruining your engine if you suck too much seafoam up at once.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Actually that IS the PCV hose.... our Foci have 2 of them.
hmm strange american foci.. we only have one pcv hose assembly for the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 variants.. that hose shown in the picture for us is the valve cover breather hose. it goes from the valve cover to the intake box.. :S

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NOt a great idea to put Seafoam into that hose; however, the manufacturers of Seafoam actually do recommend using it in engine oil in the amount of 1/3 to 1/2 pint, albeit poured into the crankcase to mix, rather than into the engine directly.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

While it never hurts to change the oil after sonething like this, it would appear that if you only put 1/2 a pint in, whatever damage it might have done is now past news, and it being in the oil is unlikely to hurt anything more.
I poured 1/3 into that line...I thought it might be the other line personally but when I read the first guys post i figured i was wrong so I went with him because I had to do it pronto...

anyway...I have drove it today it has been okay and doesnt rough idle anymore (likely because I poured it into the gas can...)

however, now thats it is in the line...what exactly has it done going through the line?

and since its been poured in the wrong hose what actions should I take...just a simple oil change will fix my mistake?

how long do I have till i should change it? and should I change my fuel filter after my full tank of gas is gone?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> what exactly has it done going through the line?

Well, frankly I haven't looked that closely, but, if as others have said, it was the breather hose and the seafoam flowed into the valve cover, it might have diluted the lubrication on the valve train with a theoretical potential for some damage due to lack of lubrication. In real Life, I wouldn't worry about it... it's amazing how durable most modern engines are when it comes to these sorts of things.

> what actions should I take

If I had poured no more than a 1/3 into that line I wouldn't do anything. As far as the fuel filter goes, it depends on how many miles you have on it. I change mine about every 30,000 and it seems to do fine. If you use questionable fuel sources, it might be wise to change it more often.

That said, an oil change and fuel filter change certainly will not hurt anything, would ensure there are no issues, and if it makes you feel better, would be worth it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What side of that hose did u pour it into? if u took it off the valve cover and poured it down the hose then it just went into ur airbox. if u took it off the airbox side then it poured into the valve cover which then made its way to the oilpan and the rest of the engine when u ran it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts