Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently purchased a 2009 Duratec 2.0 automatic SES. The engine has oil around the spark plugs. I know this means the valve cover gasket most likely needs to be changed. Well, I was putting off the change. This morning on my drive in to work, I smelled something and instantly a red light lit up on the dash. I pulled over, shut the car off and popped the hood. I noticed the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor wire was unplugged. I plugged it back in, but pulled the rubber boot back.

I then started the car back up, the red warning light was off but instantly I noticed a "popping" or "poofing" sound. I could feel the poofing with with my hand coming out at the temperature sensor well. I am guessing this poofing is what blew the plug and boot off of the temperature sensor.

The car is parked until I get off of work and have AAA tow it home. Does this sound simply like the valve cover gasket failing? I am guessing this is crankcase pressure passing the gasket.

Edit: I am reading that under the valve cover should not be pressurized enough to create the "poofing". Can I check this somewhere? like a breather hose or PCV valve?
Maybe I misread what is going on and it is an exhaust manifold gasket leak? Is the exhaust manifold in front of the engine? I cant check until after work today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had a chance to pop the hood again. But this sounds like it is most likely what happened. I found a couple of other threads about the cylinder head temperature sensor popping out from a backed out plug.

I had to drive my girlfriend's 2001 beetle to work this morning. I will be checking the plugs when I get home from work tonight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yea it ablow out plug but it gets worse.
I went to put a new spark plug in and it wouldn't thread. Seems like this already happened to someone before I bought the car. The spark be plug hole is bigger than all of the others.

What are my options? Try a plug insert? Rethread? New head?
How much should I expect to pay for a new head replacement?

I feel like I got shafted buying this car. ☹ Dang can't catch a break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts