Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finely got my hands on a copy of Focus Fanatic. Im looking over the advertisers and see some pretty bold claims from some pretty well respected companies.

On page 10, Pro-M claims a 12-20hp increase with thier 70mm mass air meter.

On page 11, BBK claims a "easy" 7-10 hp increase at the wheels with thier 65mm TB.

No mention if these increases are on stock, modified, or highy modified engines.

Whats up with these guys?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you should look at the percentages of these or any other mods. 20 hp on a 130 hp motor is almost 17%. It is very unlikely that, no, inpossible that this is on a stock motor. You would probably need some type of forced induction tot see anywhere near that increase.

Super Ford did an article some time ago that tested a lot of the bolt on parts for a 5 liter Mustang. If the magazine did something similar it would be sure to sell a ton of issues. However the logistics would be overwhelming. There is no telling how bad the off-road pipe market declined after that issue hit the stands. Most of the bolt on mods only yielded less than 5 hp untill the heads or a cam was swapped in.

I know, I know, they are different engines, different head designs, and the list goes on. But you really need to think of an engine as an air pump. Start with the tightest restriction and work your way out from there. Both companies you mentioned have been around for a long time and have excellent reputations. They aren't lying, just not telling all you need to know.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way is the mag going to do real world testing on thier advertisers products. When the dyno shows no hp increase on a $200 TB, or a $300 MAF, the bottom will fall out of the market for those products. The advertisers will then go elsewhere, and the mag will fold. They are counting on us to be stupid and keep shelling out the $ for thier stuff.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you own modding, start with an air filter, pulley's, fly wheels, and a clutch disc upgrade, small upgrades, not a lot of money either, and they will most likely gain more HP then those false statement adds will ever add.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
ZTSRacer said:
Do you own modding, start with an air filter, pulley's, fly wheels, and a clutch disc upgrade, small upgrades, not a lot of money either, and they will most likely gain more HP then those false statement adds will ever add.
small upgrades?...since when did ripping apart the bell housing and replaces a clutch/flywheel become small...seems over 95% of people adding lightweight flywheels to the focus only decrease there 1/4 time...too light.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Use to work in a truck store for three years, car accessorizing was our specialty, ripping apart and replacing a clutch is fairly easy now for myself in general.

Just saying, if you have the will power and the time you can do anything you want.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not taking sides, but here is some foood for thought.
"Chassis Engineeering" by Herb Adams
car weight 3000lbs. less 15lbs less 15lbs @ axle speed less 15 lbs @ engine speed
accel force .444g's--------------.446---------------.450---------------------------- speed @
end of
straight 112.74 112.95 113.34 115.70
Equivalent
Horsepower 428.41 430.55 434.83 460.51
Improvement
factor - 1 3 15

This just illustrates that the faster the component turns,, the more impact it has on the performance of the vehicle. The tradeoff is the rough idle and reduced drivability for the street

and the acceleration of less 15 lbs @ engine weight is .474

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is really difficult to make charts in this forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you have to remember that with an engine with little mods will see say 2hp and with a heavily moded engine you may see 8-10hp from the part. because now you have all the mods working together not just 1-2 mods

does this make sense to anyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts