Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a parked grey 2000 zx3 the other day (EXACTLY like mine). But this one had a racing stripe. I thought to myself "Hey, that looks pretty sharp!". Then as I got right up close for a better look, I see that this racing stripe is actually duct tape! It was well done, and from further than 6 feet away, you'd never be able to tell.

Now I want to do it too. Though I'm thinking a double stripe, and maybe blue. I'm good with my hands and I know I could make it straight and precise.

What do you think about this? It's pretty ghetto, I know. I can't afford to have someone actually paint my car, so I like this idea.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
just don't forget if you ever decided to remove the duct tape it will leave a crap ton of sticky residue all over your paint.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
just don't forget if you ever decided to remove the duct tape it will leave a crap ton of sticky residue all over your paint.
That and everyone who is closer then 6 feet away will laugh uncontrollably and take lots of pictures and post them on the internet so everyone else can point and laugh as well...

Why not use.......paint? You'd spend the same amount for a couple cans of spray paint and some paint tape, it'd look reasonably better, and you'll spare yourself the humiliation...at least most of it...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
x2 for the vinyl, if you look in my gallery pictures the ones of my black car with the silver stripes was vinyl. just to warn you if you go that wide its a pita! also when I sold the car the new owner was able to remove them he wanted it murdered out.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
x3 for the vinyl. I would worry about uneven paint fade if your car was red, and you decide to remove the stripes in a year or two, but if it is CDsilver as it says in your profile, fade shouldn't be a problem. Let us see the final product, I like stripes!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Duct tape should be used to hold on your body kit, not put on a stripe...

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
maybe the car broke in half and the duct tape was holding it together?

but yeah, use vinyl. please.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Duct tape should be used to hold on your body kit, not put on a stripe...
U forgot about drywall screws lol. One thing about making it look fast is ull get someones attention and he'll try to contest that "racing" stripe can u back it up?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
just do what you want, but keep in mind application and removal

if no one did their own thing we would all have boring cars.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
x4 on the vinyl.

Duct tape should be used to repair radiator hoses.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Spray on Plastidip!
It's like spray on vinyl and it peels off.

I used it on my chrome trims on my 740i and the first piece I did was splotchy. Finally peeled it off to redo it and it comes off like its nothing.
Though I bet it'd be easier to peel if it was a thicker coat, I only did 2 coats

1 - 20 of 27 Posts