Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was poking around in the engine bay checking fluids and the damn thermostat housing plug leak, when I found a cable tangled up down there. Never seen it before so I pulled it up and it was a 3 prong plug with a pushpin on it that fit into the front molding. Being the second owner, I didn't know if it had a heater and there's no traction control or heated seats. is this the heater?

it snakes under the spark plug wires then into a wrapped bundle behind the engine and keeps going. (Yes, I need a valve cover gasket and some TLC)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sure looks like the cord for a heater.

Plastic cover to help keep the plug cleaner when not in use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I was going to just buy a magnetic oil pan heater but this is way easier.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Block heater makes the most difference. Won't help fast though, it's something to leave plugged in overnight or at least plug in hours before intended start-up for best results.

Gas engines aren't as bad as diesels for cold starting, once below zero anything can use some help. Useful from the teens & down, single digits or less is when you start to see the largest difference.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
They don't have to be Factory installed, check what's currently avail. to fit (factory/aftermarket). With all the zetecs out there, hopefully factory type is still avail..

It's a drain coolant job to install, so not the quickest job to put one in.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Can one be added to an svt that didn't have it from the factory
The zerostart 3100018 should work, 35mm plug. 400w which I think is the factory spec.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ZRO0/3100018.oap?ck=Search_3100018_-1_871&keyword=3100018+

My car got a replacement engine early in its life from the dealer, so my EAP dosen't have a block heater. I thought about reinstalling one, but I dont want to do the work, plus I wouldn't use it that much.

There it is circled in green, need to move the intake manifold for install.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I picked up an outdoor extension cord today while I was out in the WI blizzard (Conti DWS tires are great in the snow btw) and have it plugged in for the night. Will update on whether it is or is not a heater. Since the car hasn't lit on fire in the last 3 hours I think it should be fine.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Well, I picked up an outdoor extension cord today while I was out in the WI blizzard (Conti DWS tires are great in the snow btw) and have it plugged in for the night. Will update on whether it is or is not a heater. Since the car hasn't lit on fire in the last 3 hours I think it should be fine.
I had a block heater installed on my white Foci. Works awesome. Cord hides in grill next to foglight. Then ran an outlet in the garage so I could use a 6' cord. Park car up close to the garage door. Plug car in. Keeps oil temp around 110 degrees. [twothumbs]

Just make sure you remember to unplug the car before you take off lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I left it plugged in overnight and it didnt short out and light anything on fire and my engine was nice and toasty warm this morning. It is indeed a heater and a rather good one at that.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that cord is the location. You have to pop the hood or just let it hang over the grill. I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can reroute it down through the grill. Would make it easier to plug in without lifting and lowering the hood.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I plug it in I just leave the hood latched but not shut all the way so just pull it open, unplug, shut it and im on my way. Then to plug it in I just pop the hood on the way out of the car. Not too bad Imo.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
My red one has the winter package, but lives in the garage and I don't drive it in winter lol...go figure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts