Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Focus, this is also my first sedan.
It is my first car that automatically locks the doors once you are in gear.

I've noticed something every time I get groceries:
-I open the driver's side rear door and put them in the back seat
-When I drive home, all the doors lock while I am driving.
-When I get out of the car, the back door is already unlocked

When I don't get groceries:
-I don't open the driver's side rear door before leaving somewhere
-The doors lock while I'm driving
-When I get home the back door is NOT unlocked if I try to open it.

Is this a type of memory feature? Does the car remember when and if I open the rear doors before leaving somewhere?

If so, I'm not annoyed. It is actually very convenient. I'm just curious as I have never experienced this with any other car.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
This is the autolock feature. as soon as you hit 15MPH, the doors will lock. any door opened since the car started with auto relock when going 15mph again

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not my question.

I want to know if it remembers to UNLOCK specific doors.

Walking out to my car I hit the fob and unlock ALL the doors at once, and once I'm driving they ALL LOCK. When I get out, the only doors automatically UNLOCKED are the driver's door and the rear door. The passenger side doors are still locked.

Is this a feature or are my locks broken and I don't know it?

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
never really noticed. i open my rears alot, ill try it sometime but i know they all open if i open the driver door from the inside.

and fyi, you can program which doors you want open. either just drivers then all doors, or all of them at the same time. just press and hold the lock and unlock button at the same time. the blinkers will come on and unlock and lock them

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my assumption is that they just unlocked when I opened the driver's door.

But if I haven't been in the backseat BEFORE I drive it somewhere, they aren't unlocked when I get out of the car again.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
who knows, i'll try it out later.

edited my last post

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
I experience the same thing, I just chock it up as being normal. And I an in and out of my car a lot everyday.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I don't consider that "a feature". I assume this is only imposed on automatic transmission versions of the new Focus? Another reason to "save the manuals"!

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
That's not my question.

I want to know if it remembers to UNLOCK specific doors.

Walking out to my car I hit the fob and unlock ALL the doors at once, and once I'm driving they ALL LOCK. When I get out, the only doors automatically UNLOCKED are the driver's door and the rear door. The passenger side doors are still locked.

Is this a feature or are my locks broken and I don't know it?
Here is how our locks are designed. hit your unlock button once and the drivers door unlocks only. hit it another time and the rest unlock.

when driving, any door opened at unlocking will relock at 15mph. it automatically sends a signal to all the doors to do it. (here is how you can test this to be true: unlock your car, get in and start it up. before you drive, hit your lock buttons to lock all the doors. start driving. you will hear around 15mph all the locks try to lock.)

when exiting the vehicle after driving, ALL doors should unlock when you open the drivers door. if not, then you have an issue

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't consider that "a feature". I assume this is only imposed on automatic transmission versions of the new Focus? Another reason to "save the manuals"!
I have a manual annnnd I'm not sure how the doors auto-locking and unlocking is relevant to the transmission...

when exiting the vehicle after driving, ALL doors should unlock when you open the drivers door. if not, then you have an issue
Well, it only seems to unlock whatever door I opened before I drove somewhere. If it ever becomes an inconvenience, I suppose I'll have it checked out. So far though it hasn't been a nuisance.

I was just curious to know if this was some type of memory convenience feature.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
For Key fob:

From factory when you press unlock, only driver opens. Twice all doors lock.

To change it to where you press the unlock once and all doors unlock, press and hold the UNLOCK and LOCK button for few seconds untill you see your turn signal flash.

Vise versa to change it back.

During operation and shutdown:

When ANY door is unlocked while driving, once you hit 12-15 MPH, it will LOCK any door that is unlocked.

When exiting the vehicle:

Once the driver door has been opened, All doors will unlock from the factory.

You can change this setting to where no doors will unlock.
This is how:

Press Setup-> Hold Reset -> Press setup however many times to bring up "Auto unlock" -> Press Reset till "No" is highlighted. Thats it

^^ someone correct me as i did this from my head. buttons may be different from that I am thinking

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The only other door i usually open is the driver's side passenger door.

My doors lock within a few feet of my first moving. Not at 15mph.
From my parking space I immediately have to make a u-turn to the exit. The doors lock before i have finished the u-turn. (going like 5mph)

If I am going TO the car and unlock the door with one press of the keyfob ONLY the driver's door opens and the rear door does not. It takes two presses of the key fob to unlock the other doors.
When i EXIT the car, opening the door and just going to the back door it will open, just because I was IN THE CAR and opened my door. My rear door will open once i open my door when exiting.
(I have never tested the other doors but i may try them now to see.)[giddy]

((It would be a nice feature if the driver rear door (only) would open when I open my driver door.)) (and not the passenger doors)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mine lock at 12-13 mph (manual transmission), and when I open my door after driving, all doors unlock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts