Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
LOL i dont know for sure but sounds like BS to me! let me tell you a story. i had an 87 stang gt. i decided to get some good plugs for it. i bought the Bosch platinum +4 plugs. what a waste of money at $8 each! i never took it to the track or dynod it so i dont know for sure but it didnt feel any different. I say just get some good plat or double plats and dont spend a fortune for just good plugs there are better things to spend $ on. Just my thoughts here. just remember a hotter spark does ensure a better mixture burn

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yes, its b.s...Some of the high dollar plugs are worth the money in certain applications...The one that really matters..Two stroke dirt bikes standard plugs work a few days where a $7 platinum ngk will last for a couple of months[thumb]

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
i had the same expeirence with the plats!

·
Registered
732 Posts
yea, no way in hell your gonna get more power out of spark plugs, you'll jus get a better ignite, cuz spark plugs work by the pistons, u know how they go up and down well when it hits the spark plug, it ignites it, so you'll jus get a better spark, so to say, no power though from it, u don't get power from eletricity, u get it from more air flow, more air flow means more h.p.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You could get more from a plug if your old plugs were fouled and crapping out, you then put in fresh plugs and voila, mo' power!

·
Registered
732 Posts
yea, but thats diff, if ur plugs r shitty, ur gonna bein bogging and shyt and ur car wont run right,like it wont run as rich, but if u get a new plug, u'll run more richer, hmm i havent changed plugs in my car yet but i had a dirtbike that was a 4 stroke, n the spark plug in that went bad once n i would jus bog around places, the reason that was happening is cuz the old plug wasnt giving much of a spark, but when i changed the plug, i got the spark i needed n it ran better, u really wont get any power jus a better ride and shyt, it will feel like more power cuz if ur old plugs r junk then yea..like i said it wont have much spark, but when u change them, then more spark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drove a 180sx turbo (hatchback version of 240sx, the ones with a trunk are called Silvia's) with an engine that ran rich, and tried the Denso iridium's. In that car it was like a night and day improvement, the spark was enough of a difference in my overly rich state of tune that there was improvement, and they lasted longer before fouling. A lot of guys ran these when I ran lived in Japan, with good results(BTW this isn't some F&F bull, I lived 36 km south of Tokyo for 5 years, and yes in the military, and you really can buy a R32 Skyline GTR for less than 10k in Japan). But like some others have said, you really aren't going to see gains from upgrading your ignition system, unless 1: there is a defect in the factory part or 2: you have drastically increased the fuel/air mixture and cylinder pressure levels to a point where the flame kernel is getting choked out.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I own a set of those and they were dyno tested to give my car a gain of +10 WHP..
j/k[;)]
[rofl]

They made my idle smoother but other than that, no HP gains I could tell or feel...
[driving]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Good answer hank. I forgot about the effects of cylinder pressure, ie blowers sometimes play havock with spark plug gaps and such...

·
Registered
456 Posts
DENSO's MSRP Per Plug is $29.95
No way in hell I'd ever pay 30 bucks per plug, they were definetly making that up.... unless the company's marketing people were smacktards.

·
Registered
318 Posts
get some double silicone spark plug wires and bosch platinum spark plugs

I can feel a small difference with the spark plugs but the wires make my car ride smoother at idle

·
Registered
793 Posts
Anyone have any opnions on "Autolite" plugs, im using motorcraft right now, i previously ruined my ECU using Bosch +4 plugs, so im afraid to run anything other than ford plugs

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use AutoLite Double Plats. Work Great for me!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well the story with the Denso Iridium plugs......as told by Denso....is that they make a slight indentation in the actual Iridium part of the plug to give more spark....the Iridium is very thin to be beneficial somehow and it is laser cut..........you can learn more on Denso's site....

Do I believe that they make your car feel peppier? Sure. Will it be in your head? Maybe but probably not. Will it make horsepower? You MAY regain some but that's about it. Are they worth it? Probably not. I'd tell you to go get a nice MSD coil and wires and call it a day. Otherwise Double Plat Motorcrafts should do just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts