Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 04 LR 2ltr Focus Zetec R (Melbourne) and i have recently removed the resonator and have installed a K & N Panel Filter to replace the crappy stock one.

I am curious as these cars come with a large debrie deflector in front of the intake vent above the grill.

1. Would there be much difference in removing this debrie deflector bump?

2. Is there such a thing as too much air? if the airbox recieves more air then this should mean the engine will also. Will this effect performance any?

3. In saying this can the engine use the extra air it may be recieving to create more power? will the car automatically adjust to recieving more air to also atomatically inject more fuel? this would obviously make more power (and i know im talking minimal gains, but for minimal work its ok).

Thanks in advance for your responses

Leighton

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
there can be too much but that is getting into forced induction. to modify the intake tubing is ok you will reciece small gains, you may want to get a new intake like and aem it cleans up the engine bay, has a nice sound and gives good gains

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Even if you have CAI or cold air intake there still won't be enough air going in.
The only way its going to put more fuel in is to get a tune.
the air will only hit the side or top of the air pod, Don't remove debrie deflector bump that'll help the air get to the bottom of the air pod as well.

Also by adding an air pod the air mass metre will come up with a error just saying to much air is coming in because its not setup for the flow, if you take it back to ford they'll tell you this but, the Focus will run fine.

Rob

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Yes, You can get too much air w/o FI, where I'm at w/ hp, I ran lean on 24 lb injectors. Stock is 19 lb. so even NA, you can get too much air!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
i gutted my air box on the mine and it stumbled for about a week then it started running better and it got louder it sounded nice.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It's cheaper to buy an air intake from OZ.
If you want engine performance then its cheaper to buy them from the U.S. or Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, yea im finding it very annoying at the limited Focus tuners/modifiers in Melbourne and since the AUD has crashed from 95c vs US few months ago to around 70c now making it more expensive.

But im certainly open for ideas and wish to mod it up piece by piece but love the car and more grunt is great. Makes my 100km a day much more enjoyable <more expensive too haha>

Leighton

·
Registered
774 Posts
People have run with the SVT/ST170 airbox and filter with the larger airscoop with no ill effects. I run a 10 1/4 in long cone filter custom intake and it is a monster. Car runs fine, maybe a little lean but I do not care, BIG induction roar at full throttle and really sucks in the extra oxygen.

The PCM should be able to adjust for more incoming air. If you do the reset after making any change like intake or exhaust the car will relearn the correct idle and perform just fine with a simple bolt-on like the intake.

Ask Tom, see what he says, he knows these cars like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I got my ZX3 the resonator AND snorkel were off (I think the previous owner had a CAI and just slapped on the stock airbox to trade it in). Anyway, I've acquired a stock snorkel and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the resonator. I'd like to do something performance-oriented, and based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the Iceman intake incorporates an SVT-like pipe that attaches where our stock Zetec resonator is on the side of the airbox:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man.htm

From that link I found THIS tutorial on a cheap and easy way to make your own Iceman tube to replace your resonator:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man-clone.htm

Later I came across THIS thread which might be of further interest to you:

http://forums.focaljet.com/zetec-tuning/578619-swiss-cheesing-airbox-need-help-2.html

I'm personally not a fan of the idea of "swiss cheesing" the bottom of the airbox, because the only thing that will do is allow the intake to suck in hot air from right next to the engine -- and hot air isn't what you want to be sucking in. What you want to do is find ways to get COLD air to your airbox from OUTSIDE the engine bay. To that end, THIS post in the "swiss cheesing" thread caught my eye, and I think this is the route I'm going to take to create my own homemade "Iceman" resonator replacement (it looks EXTREMELY cheap easy to do if you have a Dremel tool, and the end result has a clean stock look that looks very trick at the same time, IMO):

http://forums.focaljet.com/6527663-post32.html

I call this the "JDO" mod because "Jimmy_Dean0" was the "inventor" of the mod. Here's a link to the pictures that I'm going to try to emulate:

http://cid-5b2a6e30d8c06fda.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!5B2A6E30D8C06FDA!119/

Here's a pic from that site showing what the intake looks like in place of the resonator -- pretty cool, IMO:

Trick yet very clean -- and if you want something even more "custom" looking you could always paint the airbox and the new intake to give it more of an aftermarket look.

Hope this helps a bit!

FWIW, I can't comment on what removing the resonator does for the sound, because I've never heard my Zetec WITH the resonator, and my car came with a "******* cat-back" consisting of a straight pipe after the flex pipe and a TINY "muffler" at the end (smaller than the stock "lunchbox" resonator, if you can believe it!). As a result, my Focus is noisy as heck -- I feel like a boy racer every time I drive it. Thankfully, I've got an OEM SVT cat-back exhaust sitting in my garage, and I'll be getting THAT installed this week.

I will say this: Don't remove your snorkel -- my performance IMPROVED once I replaced the missing snorkel. Also, as cool as CAI setups look, my research indicates that the BEST-PERFORMING intake for any normally-aspirated Focus (SVT or stock) is either the SVT airbox and snorkel, or the stock airbox with an SVT snorkel and an Iceman-like side-tube. I don't have the links handy at the moment, but there were some posts here that showed extensive testing with various intakes, and only the Volant came close to out-performing the stock SVT airbox and snorkel arrangement (and the Volant is essentially just a "trick" variation of the stock airbox).

Here's a link to a mod referred to as the "HRW" mod (for "HotRodWagon," the FocalJet member who "invented" it):

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10125

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I got my ZX3 the resonator AND snorkel were off (I think the previous owner had a CAI and just slapped on the stock airbox to trade it in). Anyway, I've acquired a stock snorkel and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the resonator. I'd like to do something performance-oriented, and based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the Iceman intake incorporates an SVT-like pipe that attaches where our stock Zetec resonator is on the side of the airbox:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man.htm

From that link I found THIS tutorial on a cheap and easy way to make your own Iceman tube to replace your resonator:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man-clone.htm

Later I came across THIS thread which might be of further interest to you:

http://forums.focaljet.com/zetec-tuning/578619-swiss-cheesing-airbox-need-help-2.html

I'm personally not a fan of the idea of "swiss cheesing" the bottom of the airbox, because the only thing that will do is allow the intake to suck in hot air from right next to the engine -- and hot air isn't what you want to be sucking in. What you want to do is find ways to get COLD air to your airbox from OUTSIDE the engine bay. To that end, THIS post in the "swiss cheesing" thread caught my eye, and I think this is the route I'm going to take to create my own homemade "Iceman" resonator replacement (it looks EXTREMELY cheap easy to do if you have a Dremel tool, and the end result has a clean stock look that looks very trick at the same time, IMO):

http://forums.focaljet.com/6527663-post32.html

I call this the "JDO" mod because "Jimmy_Dean0" was the "inventor" of the mod. Here's a link to the pictures that I'm going to try to emulate:

http://cid-5b2a6e30d8c06fda.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!5B2A6E30D8C06FDA!119/

Here's a pic from that site showing what the intake looks like in place of the resonator -- pretty cool, IMO:

Trick yet very clean -- and if you want something even more "custom" looking you could always paint the airbox and the new intake to give it more of an aftermarket look.

Hope this helps a bit!

FWIW, I can't comment on what removing the resonator does for the sound, because I've never heard my Zetec WITH the resonator, and my car came with a "******* cat-back" consisting of a straight pipe after the flex pipe and a TINY "muffler" at the end (smaller than the stock "lunchbox" resonator, if you can believe it!). As a result, my Focus is noisy as heck -- I feel like a boy racer every time I drive it. Thankfully, I've got an OEM SVT cat-back exhaust sitting in my garage, and I'll be getting THAT installed this week.

I will say this: Don't remove your snorkel -- my performance IMPROVED once I replaced the missing snorkel. Also, as cool as CAI setups look, my research indicates that the BEST-PERFORMING intake for any normally-aspirated Focus (SVT or stock) is either the SVT airbox and snorkel, or the stock airbox with an SVT snorkel and an Iceman-like side-tube. I don't have the links handy at the moment, but there were some posts here that showed extensive testing with various intakes, and only the Volant came close to out-performing the stock SVT airbox and snorkel arrangement (and the Volant is essentially just a "trick" variation of the stock airbox).

Here's another link to a mod referred to as the "HRW" mod (for "HotRodWagon," the FocalJet member who "invented" it) -- this utilized an additional air intake tube added to the stock resonator (without removing the resonator):

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10125

Cool stuff -- lots of options. I think the stock airbox with the SVT snorkel is just about the best combo you can get.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
^^ my guess its maybe a sprot package. like the sap cars. or the s2 cars. or eve nthe sony edition cars.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hehe, yea im finding it very annoying at the limited Focus tuners/modifiers in Melbourne and since the AUD has crashed from 95c vs US few months ago to around 70c now making it more expensive.

But im certainly open for ideas and wish to mod it up piece by piece but love the car and more grunt is great. Makes my 100km a day much more enjoyable <more expensive too haha>
Leighton
I'm not happy about our dollar as well, should be alot better.
There's no performance parts in Oz but, it'll cost ya and that's why it's cheaper to buy it from the U.S. or Canada and that incl shipping and exhaust and small engine parts are easy to put on yourself.

As for tuning a Focus it'll cost ya with SCT in oz but, I'll done alot of ph calls and looking into this SCT and it looks like Tom at Foucs Power can do our Euro Oz Focus tune and it'll be alot cheaper then getting it done in Oz
Alot of pushing is starting to pay off

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
P.S. do you know what is differnet about the 'R' spec Zetec vs the standard Zetec like we have in the US?
^^ my guess its maybe a sprot package. like the sap cars. or the s2 cars. or eve nthe sony edition cars.
The R spec Zetec Focus was an 5 door hatch and with 2.0L Zetec manual and Ford bodykit and other goodies inside as well.

The only way to get a manual 2.0L in a Focus was St170 or Zetec 3 door.
The 5 door hatch did come in a manual but was only a 1.8L

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks Australia ^^^ learn something new every day.
Aussie would of been better but, I'll take it none the less...lol

Even if you have CAI or cold air intake there still won't be enough air going in.
The only way its going to put more fuel in is to get a tune.
the air will only hit the side or top of the air pod, Don't remove debrie deflector bump that'll help the air get to the bottom of the air pod as well.
Also by adding an air pod the air mass metre will come up with a error just saying to much air is coming in because its not setup for the flow, if you take it back to ford they'll tell you this but, the Focus will run fine.
Rob
Go down to autobarn and get K&N or Drift pod for like $35 but, make sure it fit over the MAF and what you can do is leave the air box in and put in the pod but, you'll have to have the MAF on an little angle to make it work and an Drift oil breather for like $12 and I think it does come with air hole as well.

P.S. Welcome to FF and this is the place to learn about Focus, Our Zetec engine are the same as the U.S. and Canada so start modding

Rob
Flying the focus flag for Australia

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would avoid switching to a cone filter, a short ram intake, or a cold air intake -- the stock Focus airbox is pretty darn good as-is, and it can be easily improved to out-perform even a costly Volant intake. The main thing you can do to improve the stock airbox is to remove the stock snorkel and install an SVT snorkel, which is larger. This combination alone with a plain paper filter will out-perform a Volant intake.

Next, simply removing the resonator helps a little, at least as far as the overall sound is concerned (it sounds "sportier," so your car feels sportier). If you want to make the resonator delete actually provide better performance, you can install a do-it-yourself "Iceman" side snorkel:

DIY Iceman Intake Clone

Here is a site that shows some pictures of a slightly more polished take on the "Iceman Clone" mod (something I've dubbed the "JDO Mod" after the screen name used by the guy who "invented" it). There's no instructions or text, but the pictures pretty much speak for themselves (the guy said he used 2" ABS drain pipe for the mod):

JDO Mod pictures

To address one of your questions:

1. Yes, there is PROOF that removing the debris deflector bump is VERY helpful in terms of lowering your intake temps. Check out this link, which shows testing associated with the "HRW Intake Mod":

HRW Intake Mod Testing Thread

The "cold air induction tube" portion of the HRW Intake Mod is something that you could do instead of the "Iceman Clone" mod or the "JDO Mod" -- the example shown uses the "induction tube" attached to the stock resonator, but I've seen versions that delete the resonator and run the tube straight into the airbox, similar to the "Iceman Clone" or the "JDO Mod" Here is another link showing more pics of the HRW Mod:

HRW Mod How-To Link

Since you already have a K&N filter in your stock airbox, I would recommend that you remove the debris deflector hump then try the "HRW Mod," the "Iceman Clone," or the "JDO Mod," and if that doesn't seem like enough, try tracking down an SVT snorkel instead of dropping any money on a CAI or short ram intake -- the stock airbox and the SVT snorkel combo is hard to beat from what I've read.

Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That'll cost to much money for an SVT snorkel even 2nd hand is BS.
Go down to autobarn or supercheap auto and you can buy the air pipe that join onto the front of the air pod and they come in different colours.

That last link was BS because have a good look where he put the hole, on that side of the car there an hole for the water to go when it rains and hes put a hole right there like your [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g joking me just like those CAI that go right down to the bumper yeah might seem to be a good idea and make some gain but, what happens when your driving and it start to flog down and it might suck the water in the engine and this is why I don't like these setup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

This is melbzetec air intake so PM if you want this setup or get the kinda thing on the cheap at autobarn or supercheap auto

1 - 20 of 34 Posts