Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My wife and I are considering buying a 2015 Focus SE Hatch with a manual transmission. We test drove the car last week. I loved it. Much peppier than I expected and felt super solid.

My wife also loved the car, BUT she had a major issue with the seating position. I'll do my best to explain. My wife is pretty short (5'2") so she needs to move the seat pretty far forward to comfortably reach the pedals. She needs to be able to push the clutch to the floor. But the driver's seat has pretty significant seat bolsters on each side. The seat bolsters feel great and keep you nice and snug in the seat. But with the seat pushed up close to the steering wheel, the bolster gets in the way of being able to comfortably reach the shifter. She especially had trouble shifting into 2nd and 4th because that requires pulling back on the shifter. She couldn't figure out if her elbow should be on the inside or outside of the bolster, and neither position felt comfortable or natural.

We obviously decided against buying the car, but it's been nagging me whether this is a common issue and if there's something that can be done. I'd love to buy this car.

Anyone else experience this issue? Is there anything we can do so I can buy this car??

Thank you!

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback DCT
10 Posts
Coming from someone whose a foot shorter than she is, just get the DCT focus. You would probably need a custom made cushion for the car.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback DCT
10 Posts
Coming from someone whose a foot shorter than she is, just get the DCT focus. You would probably need a custom made cushion for the car.
Also, if you (or your wife) is within 10" of the steering wheel (and thus the airbag) when driving, look into getting a driver's airbag cut off switch. If you are closer than 10" the airbag will be very likely to seriously injure you if it goes off, far more than if it just didn't go off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's funny, I notice my wife's arm is in an awkward position when shifting my focus. She has never complained. she is 5'4" She likes being really close to the pedals. She has never complained about it. I try to get her to recline the seat a little bit. She is as upright as a rally driver.

She has a similar problem in her new civic si

I'm thinking it's not really a problem once you get used to it. Maybe just an excuse to get an automatic...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts