Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
If the air bag light is on there should be a current code in the retraints module. Are you sure that scanner could read Ford air bag codes? Not all scanners can read all codes. When you first turn the car on does the air bag light flash before it becomes steady?

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No Paul, it stays on and doesn't flash at all. I can go back and double check the code reader. But I'm pretty sure that I did run the air bag code.

Thanks
Allcruisen 🇺🇸

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is there another place to rent a scanner besides AutoZone to check the air bag for codes?
Thanks,
Allcruisen 🇺🇸

·
Registered
980 Posts
Innova 3100 CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool
This is the one I used, Paul. They rent this one out.

Allcruisen🇺🇸
99 percent certain that code scanner can NOT read airbag codes.
You need to take it to a place that has a code scanner that will read Ford airbag codes.

Have you ever had airbag system (light) issues before?
Was the car recently in any kind of accident?
Was there anything 'funny' that happened with the car just prior to the airbag light coming on?
Does the horn and cruise control work?
Have you checked the electrical system voltage? (engine running)
Check CJB fuses F60 (7.5A) and F61 (7.5A)

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No accident. It just started one morning and has not turned off. Yes, I have checked both fuses and also replaced the alternator with a new one and upgraded the wires.

Allcruisen🇺🇸

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yes sir, they work. I also thought it could be the clock spring. If that's where you were going?
Yes, on these older Focus that is always a possibility. Just because horn/CC work does not rule out a clockspring issue.
Problem is without the code you are just guessin'. Even with the code it can talke some detective work or experience to know what is wrong. SRS system is VERY sensitive to resistances between components and is what the system looks at during self test.

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for all your help, Paul. Do you know where I can take it to have the air bag circuit checked?

Allcruisen 🇺🇸

·
Registered
326 Posts
take it to a ford dealership, but first make sure your battery is good. Low voltage from the battery can cause a lot of gremlins...its a long shot but worth checking.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts