Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of testing an ECM ? Are there any parts store that would check a ECM? I have a running vehicle but I'm having electrical issues, I have narrowed it down to maybe being a bad ECM but don't want to keep changing part's. I have a spare ECM out of a same year and model focus as mine, but I would have to get it "keyed" programmed in order for it to start the vehicle.
Thanks in advance,
Allcruisen

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All kinds, I've lost ground at several places. Also abs light stays on. Seatbelt chime was staying on even with seatbelt latched. Now when I first start the car the seatbelt light comes on and then turns off with out me even clicking it.
Thanks for any help,
Allcruisen

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. Nothing like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS Yes engine runs good.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
That stuff sounds more like GEM or BCM module stuff. PCM has really nothing to do with seat belts.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Is there any way of testing an ECM ? Are there any parts store that would check a ECM? I have a running vehicle but I'm having electrical issues, I have narrowed it down to maybe being a bad ECM but don't want to keep changing part's. I have a spare ECM out of a same year and model focus as mine, but I would have to get it "keyed" programmed in order for it to start the vehicle.
Thanks in advance,
Allcruisen
It would be so great to know what year/model/body/engine/trans you have.

Paul

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Paul, checked and inspected the buckles. Also the vehicle info is in my signature.

Thanks,
Allcruisen

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had some electrical issues with my SVT recently; thought the ECU was finished, but it turned out to be some grounds that come off the battery and to to near the driver's side fender. After I cleaned them up it worked a lot better. Worth a try because it only takes a couple of minutes and I've read it's common on the Focus.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah checked and redid the ground wires from the battery and upgraded the positive from the alternator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the ABS code?

Controlled by the GEM. Have you inspected the buckle switches/wiring?

Good luck
Paul
Hi Paul, no abs codes. Just replaced the gem with a rebuilt one and still having the same issues. I'm at a lost here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Allcruisen ??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: What I have been calling an abs light turns out to be an "airbag readiness" light.

Thanks,
Allcruisen

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
UPDATE: What I have been calling an abs light turns out to be an "airbag readiness" light.

Thanks,
Allcruisen
The ABS light says 'ABS' (tach cluster below/left of fuel gauge, non-tach cluster left of temp gauge). The airbag light shows a pic of a belted occupant and an inflated airbag (tach and non-tach cluster left of temp gauge)

So you are now saying the airbag light is on and stays on? Do you get an airbag code?

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Paul, no codes at all. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not all OBD2 readers can read restraint system codes.

How certain are you the code reader you were/are using to read your codes is able to read restraint system codes?

Sometimes OBD2 readers have distinct menu options that need to be selected to read restraint system codes. If you’re certain the OBD2 reader being used in your car can read restraint system codes, how confident are you that the reader is explicitly being told to look for them?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts