Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like off the transmission [gear drive] or the flywheel? Or wheel driven? Or if you had a RWD vehicle --off the rear diff? [more boost with more speed] [burnout] Just wondering. [:eek:]

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Not that I know of but you have the right idea...more boost with more speed....SC's are belt driven which means they work off how fast your motor turns so the faster your motor turns, the more boost you get. It would be a hell of a setup to see a SC run off of a flywheel or something else. Too much money to make it work IF you can make it work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Don't laugh but what if you could drop a *fifth wheel* out from the car to run on the road to drive the supercharger when you get going fast enough? If you had to you could use some kind of gear box to get the thing spinning fast enough.

And also the faster you go the more boost you need.

One other idea is to use nitrous up to say 50 mph, then shut it off and use the S.C.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
^ Don't laugh but what if you could drop a *fifth wheel* out from the car to run on the road to drive the supercharger when you get going fast enough? If you had to you could use some kind of gear box to get the thing spinning fast enough.

And also the faster you go the more boost you need.

One other idea is to use nitrous up to say 50 mph, then shut it off and use the S.C.
Sorry but I tried to read that with a straight face......[hah]

So didn't happen

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I know some drag racers run alternators off their drive shafts. But I doubt a SC would work well like that..and we don't have them anyways.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not that I know of but you have the right idea...more boost with more speed....SC's are belt driven which means they work off how fast your motor turns so the faster your motor turns, the more boost you get. It would be a hell of a setup to see a SC run off of a flywheel or something else. Too much money to make it work IF you can make it work.
that would apply to a centrifugal SC. a roots type has constant boost through out the RPM range.

i might be mistaken but im pretty sure thats how it works

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You're pretty limited to where you can mount a supercharger on a car....lol

It definitely has to be mounted to the engine for various logical reasons. It has to work in sync with the motor not out. Attaching it to a drive shaft at the other end of the car to drive the front wheels poses a problem with pressure drop, more piping, longer lines and running a supercharger off of a drive shaft wouldn't develop any better results since the the shaft and the motor spin at different RPMs.

Plus you would have to have a substantially large 'charger to maintain adequate pressure to travel 10 ft or so back into the cooler.

Adding extra weight for such a farfetched idea isn't worth it in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts